TR - Sawtooth Peak

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lambertiana
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR - Sawtooth Peak

Post by lambertiana »

On Friday after work I went with some friends to do a quick overnight at Monarch Lake in Sequoia NP, with the primary goal of summiting Sawtooth Peak. Sawtooth is one of my favorite summits because it is a very small point and you really feel like you are on top of something. On the road to Mineral King you can see Sawtooth standing prominently
Sawtooth.jpg
As we started up the trail we could look down on Mineral King Valley, I'd love to have a cabin there
Mineral King Valley.jpg
As we ascended we could see Sawtooth again
Sawtooth 1.jpg
Our camp at lower Monarch Lake at sunset
Camp.jpg
Then yesterday morning we got up early and headed up the wonderful sand/gravel slope known as Sawtooth Pass. Here is the summit from Sawtooth Pass
Sawtooth 2.jpg
Once we got the pass, the going was easier. Here are a few of the group on the summit. The closest two are father and son (kid is 10) on the first real hike of their lives. Both did very well and had a great time.
On the summit.jpg
Views from the top - looking toward the Kaweahs
Kaweahs.jpg
Looking east toward the Whitney group
Sawtooth 2007 028.jpg
View of the group descending from the summit
Descending from the summit.jpg
And for the final picture, we descended by a different route so that we could go by upper Monarch Lake, if you get there with the right lighting it is a very photogenic lake.
Upper Monarch Lake.jpg
It was a very pleasant way to spend a couple days, I already have someone else who wants to do Sawtooth later this summer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR - Sawtooth Peak

Post by windknot »

Great shots, really makes me feel like I was there. Thanks for the report!
Bluewater
Topix Expert

TR - Sawtooth Peak

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for the TR and photos. I've been wanting to climb Sawtooth for a while. My brother has a cabin on the road to Mineral King, about 10 miles from Three Rivers. Beautiful country!
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

lambertiana
Thanks for sharing. Though I have never been to the peak, some of your photos along the way illuminate very familiar views. Makes me feel like I was there. And how awesome that the father and son, new to hiking, achieved such a grand vista. Good for you and them!
Last time I was in Mineral King was September 2008, and it would be nice to get back.
Cheers.
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Lambertiana for the TR and Pic's. I would love to have a cabin with that view too.
Love the views of the Kaweah Ridge, never get tired of seeing it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Back in its mining period there were cabins in that valley. But during big El Nino years people found out the hard way there are few trees down at the bottom for a reason.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Such a beautiful peak, and the whole area is really great. Thanks for the great pictures!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Great post that brings back very fond memories for me. In 1969 I celebrated my 10th birthday on the summit of Sawtooth Peak. That still ranks as one of my three favorite birthdays of all time (other two: 1986-met my wife, 2008 a great day of off trail hiking to Tunemah Lake and basin below Tunemah). My ten year old is not strong enough to climb Sawtooth yet.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

WOW, that looks like a great trip! The view of the summit from the pass is SWEET!! Also, that last shot is pretty classic. Thanks for posting!

-Mike