Carol Col and Feather Pass question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
millertime
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Carol Col and Feather Pass question

Post by millertime »

I'm planning a trip for late August starting at Piute Pass and looping through Bear Lakes Basin like so.
http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=2994957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My friend is planning on bringing his dog, (the nicest BullBoxer on the planet) which has easily accomplished the pass behind Mt Price in between Island Lake and Lyons Lake in the Crystal Range. What I'm wondering is what to expect on Carol Col and Feather Pass with a dog. I've seen the pictures in the Cross Country Passes section of both as well as the descriptions and it seems like it shouldn't be an issue as long as the proper path is taken, but has anyone here traversed either with a dog?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Carol Col and Feather Pass question

Post by rlown »

A dog can do Carol Col.. I don't have any idea about Feather Pass. I'd still be prepared to carry the dog if it freaks on a few steps.
jfelectron
Topix Acquainted

Post by jfelectron »

Hmm... The standard approach at the southern base of feather goes up a notch in the head wall. This is serious class 3 requiring hands and feet. Once you get above that tricky 30 ft section then it's just a scree field to the top. North side is a standard talus field.

Another approach would be to aim higher to the south as if approaching royce pass and then cut north toward feather once you are past the head wall.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

If Feather Pass isn't doable you can backtrack and go over Italy Pass...would add a few miles.
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

millertime,
We took our dog over Carol at least twice, and had trained him early on to jump into my arms where needed. I recall at least a couple spots on Carol where that was necessary. His only time over Feather was in pretty heavy snow, so I remember no problems with that, because he loved snow. Even so, on my last time over Feather (4 or 5 years ago), I don't recall anything that would be an insurmnountable obstacle for a dog that was reasonably experienced. And, Carol Col is great experience to prepare for Feather........
cg
millertime
Topix Acquainted

Post by millertime »

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like it can be done, and worst case he would have to carry the dog up a few short sections on Feather Pass which he would be able to do. Going to plan on sticking to this route, and there will be pictures haha.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Do not have a dog, but if your dog can do Carol than Feather will be no problem
either. It sounds like you have the pooch pretty well trained so it should not be a
problem.
By the way Feather Pass is a class 2, the only class 3 that comes to mind in
in this area is Merriam, which quite steep, and some nasty loose rock.
Here is Calipidder TR and photo's of the pass: http://www.calipidder.com/wp/2010/10/be ... oop-day-5/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jfelectron
Topix Acquainted

Post by jfelectron »

A better shot of the notch in the headwall is here:

millertime
Topix Acquainted

Post by millertime »

That is what I've concluded with maverick. I used Calipidder's TR as well as this one on NWHikers http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopi ... 516#418516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and this one, which is where I got the idea for the route, otherwise I would have just started at Pine Creek again... http://trekkingtheworld.com/bear_basin_loop.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a blast to me. While I have most of the topo maps of the high sierra memorized from reading countless trip reports and studying the maps, it will be my first time staying 3+ nights, and the deepest I've made it into the sierra. Furthest I've made it so far is Granite Park and Big McGee Lake (had to turn around both times) and then Ediza and Thousand Islands Lake on day hikes. Flying home from Oklahoma to do this so I sure hope the weather is good late August.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Millertime wrote:
it will be my first time staying 3+ nights, and the deepest I've made it into the sierra.
Furthest I've made it so far is Granite Park and Big McGee Lake (had to turn around
both times) and then Ediza and Thousand Islands Lake on day hikes. Flying home from
Oklahoma to do this so I sure hope the weather is good late August.

What :eek: , let me take back everything I said. Please check out: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Had turned around both times? Why? If this is all the experience you have, than it is not
the dog I would be worried about. Is you friend experienced in crosscountry travel in
the Sierra?
Even if he is, and you are in great physical condition, you have four class 2 passes to
climb in 6 days, and I would seriously question his judgement!
Do not want to sound harsh but this is a little scary :( , and would highly recommend
you think about something less involved, at least until you get some experience under
your belt!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org