Mile Equivalent

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Phil R
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

For our Scout troop...

Post by Phil R »

To plan our backpacking time for our Scout troop we used: 1 hour for each mile plus one hour for each 1000 feet of gain. The faster hikers would beat that, of course, but for the whole troop to get there this worked pretty good.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ranboze »

I must be more than 2 standard deviations below the mean on that White Mountains calculator. Based on yesterday's ascent of Split Mtn from Red lake, it should have taken me 2:45... ha! It took 5 hours. The boy scout formula seems to be more my speed! A guy who left camp the same time we did summitted in 2.5 hours... he was bookin' He's also a semi-pro soccer play with extreme leg strength.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I guess the boy scout one would work above 10,000 feet elevation and the White Mountain one would work below 10,000 for me.

If I put in 6100 feet gain and 11 miles like Whitney in the White Mountain Calculator I get 8 hours 35 minutes - I think I got to the top last time in about 8 hours, so that's right. I think for trail hiking in clear conditions it might work, but for xcountry it won't.