TR: Mosquito Flats to Mono Creek 6/30-7/3

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Mosquito Flats to Mono Creek 6/30-7/3

Post by schmalz »

Here's a recent trip report to the Mono Creek area near Rock Creek. The trip was a lot of fun. The bugs and heat made me keep things a bit more low key, and the photography wasn't quite as productive as I prefer, but it's hard to go wrong in such a beautiful place. Hope you enjoy.

http://calitrails.wordpress.com/2012/07 ... ed-before/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Mosquito Flats to Mono Creek 6/30-7/3

Post by cgundersen »

schmalz,
Fabulous place to take a dog, and I'm guessing you'll hear from at least a couple other folks who've taken their pooches into that area. We had 11 fantastic seasons with a golden retriever whose love of the Sierra was infectious. He went nuts on snow, and learned quickly how to navigate scree, boulder fields, etc. The only thing he didn't like was the really rough, broken rock that trail crews ladle onto some trails (McGee Pass comes to mind). Anyway, one of his earliest trips was over Hopkins pass then over the ridge to Grinnell and then up Second Recess through Gabbot Pass and looping back via Cox col. After that display, it was clear that he could do just about anything I could. And, he was so depressed when we drove home............sound familiar? Hopefully, Callie will get plenty more doses of the wild places!
cg
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Beautiful report Schmalz. To bad about the clear skies, have been waiting for a
decent monsoonal flow to show up, but has not happened yet, though we will get
a little action starting today in the Sierra.
The falls at Forth Recess Lakes can be quite impressive when at full run off.
Wow, the area around the lower Pioneer Basin Lake looks very dry for this time of
the year. There are some nice wild flowers up towards Lake 11026 (PB) in a good year.
The official trail ends right near the outlet of the lowest of the Upper Hopkins Lakes.
Hopkins Pass is just right outside of your photo taken at UHL, and Grinnell is to the
left a little ways as you follow the ridge around, did you take a wider angle shot by
ant chance from this angle we could possibly use for our "Cross Country Passes" section?
Coming north over Mono Pass there is a ridge on the left that climbs to about 12000 ft
and affords some outstanding views of Fourth Recess Lake, Snow Lakes, Pioneer Basin
Lower Hopkins Lake, and Red & White Mountain, will see if I can find and post it.
Really enjoyed reading Callie's experience too!
Thanks.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
millertime
Topix Acquainted

Post by millertime »

Always enjoy your trip reports. Out of curiosity what camera to you use and what breed of dog is Callie?
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Wow CG, your dog sounds pretty impressive. I thought Callie was extraordinary in her abilities, but I guess dogs are pretty capable when given the chance. Now I wonder how many dogs have tromped around there. I assumed very few but you never know.

Mav - Let me dig through my photos and see if I find anything that might be helpful.
millertime wrote:Always enjoy your trip reports. Out of curiosity what camera to you use and what breed of dog is Callie?
Camera is a Canon 5DMK2, Callie is an unknown breed. She's a pound puppy mutt. I refer to her breed as "mountain dog", but she's definitely got some collie in her among many other breeds. She is 15 months old right now. She summited Baldy this January when she was 8 months old :)
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Very nice trailside photography. I enjoyed your report.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Great shots, looks like you two had a very fun trip. Thanks for sharing!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

schmalz,
My wife & I started "grooming" our dog for backpacking shortly after we got him: trail walks led to off trail walks and gradually more challenging hills. He was 9 months old when he hit his first Sierra Pass (Cottonwood) and first mountain water: streams, lakes, snow. He definitely was in a comfort zone in the mountains! And, it added a completely new dimension to backpacking. The one thing that constrained us was the ban on dogs in the National Parks. Although my wife joked about getting him certified as a guide dog, we kept out of the parks. That led to a lot of trips in the area between Yosemite and SEKI. But, one other relevant anecdote was on a trip with friends into Pioneer basin, we were greeted mid-basin by what looked like a semi-tame wolf. Our dog and the "wolf" proceeded to launch into a high octane game of tag that would have gone on past sunset if the "wolf's" owners had not finally shown up. It turns out that Shaunte was in fact 3/4 wolf and 1/4 Malamute. She and our dog were heartbroken at having to be separated. Not surprisingly, Shaunte returned at daybreak the next day and the game of tag resumed.......till the owners came to collect Shaunte because they were leaving. More canine heartbreak. But, since we had decided to spend a final night at Golden Lake on the way out, I was a bit perplexed when our dog jumped in and swam across Golden just as we reached the lake. Turns out, Shaunte was waiting for him on the other side. She was about the most gorgeous "dog" I've ever seen, so I can understand the attraction. We kept looking for her on future trips, but never crossed paths again. Maybe Callie will run into her doppelganger?
cg
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

will have to check out this trail after seeing your excellent report...thanks!
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;