Hiking slide mountain to Doe lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking slide mountain to Doe lake

Post by maverick »

Wow, that puts a whole twist into the mix. Soqueica you may want to reconsider
this trip or be ready to turn around if things are bad. Thanks Sierraholic for 411.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
soquelca
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by soquelca »

Hi,

Yes this is news we like having before going. Thanks for the info. We are now looking at approaching that area from Wilson canyon. I need to study some more to find a good route. Looks good on the topo map. Has anyone been in that area?
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I was in the field when this was posted and have only started checking the threads. The Slide Canyon route to Doe Lake was part of a really fun trip my wife and I did back in 1993. My thoughts echo those already posted. This is a nice N. Yosemite off trail jaunt and the only potential issue, the slide itself, is avoided by going around to the E side of it (ie east wall of canyon). We too initially attempted to go right through it for indeed it appeared as if a use trail (from previously deluded hikers) plunged right into it, but it soon became clear that this would be a big waste of time so we U-turned headed back out then went around the boulders. My recollection is that the detour does not involve going overly high on the E side and I recall there being somewhat of a use trail or, more likely, a game trail occasionally exploited by hikers and turned into a use trail. The final part of the route to Doe goes exactly as it looks on the topo: leave Slide Creek at confluence of Big Meadow Creek and aim for the saddle/shoulder NNE (9360+) of the lake. Doe is a nice destination that is off the beaten track, for it is a bit removed from the more popular backcountry destinations in this part of Yosemite (such as the Smedberg-Benson area).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;