TR-Green Creek - East Lake - Return Creek loop -7-5-12

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

TR-Green Creek - East Lake - Return Creek loop -7-5-12

Post by overheadx2 »

I'm relatively new and hope to use this in the future, so I'll try and give a descent TR.
Took my Niece on a short (17 mile) loop up green creak to East Lake over Summit Lake to Return Creek then over Virginia pass to Green Creek. Great fishing at each lake we tried (East, Hoover and Return Creek) with nice relatively good ones found at East Lake. I'm a modified Tenkara guy so most fish caught were on a fly.

Great hike for beginner or kids with great fishing and 2 low passes (10,200' and 10,500') in the loop with a very short distance and no one around past the pass. Great campsite at the peninsula at East Lake as well as the trail junction to Return Creek and another great site up return creek in the meadow below Return Lake. The trail over Virginia pass is unmaintained, but still very good. The trail to Virginia pass can be found off of the spur trail to west lake on the north side of Green Lake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR-Green Creek - East Lake - Return Creek loop -7-5-12

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the 411 on the area Overheadx2.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org