looking for a good 3-4 day hike (Mammoth)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
xshift28x
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

looking for a good 3-4 day hike (Mammoth)

Post by xshift28x »

Hey everyone,
last year a buddy and I hiked from the agnew meadows trail head to ediza then to garnet lake the next day and back in on the third. I'm looking for a good 3-4 day hike that includes minaret lake and maybe some good fishing spots. We are still novice backpackers so something easy to intermediate will be good. I thought about Duck lake because I heard fishing in the creek is really good but would not know where to go from there and I am more familiar with the San Juaquin river and that area by reds meadows and devils postpile.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: looking for a good 3-4 day hike (Mammoth)

Post by maverick »

Hi Xshift28x,

Since you have been to Ediza and Garnet, and you are interested in the Minaret Lakes
area, would recommend you do a circuit which includes Beck, Halcomb, Ashley, and
Anona Lakes. Beck Lakes and especially Ashley Lake and Minaret Lakes are beautiful.
From Minaret Lakes you can go visit Cecile and Iceberg Lakes, climb up the Volcanic
Ridge to get some great views of Minarets and the lakes below.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
xshift28x
Topix Acquainted

Post by xshift28x »

maverick wrote:Hi Xshift28x,

Since you have been to Ediza and Garnet, and you are interested in the Minaret Lakes
area, would recommend you do a circuit which includes Beck, Halcomb, Ashley, and
Anona Lakes. Beck Lakes and especially Ashley Lake and Minaret Lakes are beautiful.
From Minaret Lakes you can go visit Cecile and Iceberg Lakes, climb up the Volcanic
Ridge to get some great views of Minarets and the lakes below.

What would you recommend for a 3 night trip? I know that I could start at devils postpile and get to minaret lake, but where would I go from there? I remember someone on here saying that to get to iceberg lake it would involve some snow passes, I would kind of like to avoid that but would be interested in beck, ashley and anona lake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

PM sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
deej
Topix Acquainted

Post by deej »

Was it Maverick who mentioned Minaret up to Cecile and then Iceberg and Ediza? He's right...beautiful hike. Yeah, it's a climb up to Cecile (couldn't find a "trail" so we just found our way), and then the hike down to Iceberg was a little scary..well..for me because I didn't like the idea of slipping off the ice into the freezing water. But, it's really fine. I've seen youngsters do it. Plus, not near as much snow, I imagine, now. Iceberg is awesome. One of my favorite areas, actually. Ediza is pretty, too, and you can go exploring all over the place up in that area. If you loop back down to Agnew Meadows, even Shadow lake is nice.

I might take Maverick up on his advice about Beck, Ashley, and the other lake (and include Minaret). Taking a friend this weekend on a spontaneous trip. He's never slept out in the wilderness. I want to take him to a pretty spot for the first trip. Two nighter, so can't go too far.