Is leaving Agnew Meadows to Resupply at Mammoth Lakes allowe

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mbear
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by mbear »

Is one allowed to resupply his food in Mammoth Lakes without breaking his wilderness permit, or am I out of luck when I see a ranger when entering Agnew Meadows from town after resupplying with food if I haven't gotten a new permit for that day? Arrrggghhh... Yosemite made me get a new permit just to resupply in Tuolumne Meadows even though my inbound and outbound trails go right through it. Is the Ansel Adams Wilderness as strict?
87TT
Topix Regular

Re: Is leaving Agnew Meadows to Resupply at Mammoth Lakes allowe

Post by 87TT »

I have never hiked in the park but on the outside, I have never been even asked for a permit. The parks have way too many anal people working there.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

your permit is good for the time alloted regardless. Yose is kind of strict.
mbear
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbear »

I was a bit worried since I figured the Shadow Lake pass to the JMT from AM is in pretty high demand. No prob even if the permit doesn't originate in the Inyo NF, as long as it covers all the days? It would originate in Yosemite: the Mono/Parker Pass permit, which forces you to camp in the Inyo NF until you can loop around and come up another trail into the park. I'd be coming into the Ansel Adams Wilderness from the Parker Pass trail, with a few days exploring some of the peaks around Parker Pass area, then a food reup, a few more day around the Ritter area, then exiting to Yosemite via Donahue. I'd prefer skipping the fee from the Red's Meadow pickup since I can do the food reup in Mammoth just for postage if at all possible.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

You are allowed to exit the wilderness for up to 24 hours so long as you reenter at the same place:
http://www.recreation.gov/marketing.do? ... l&backLink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So you can go out to Mammoth to resupply, even spend one night there if you are so inclined, so long as you go back to Agnew Meadows the next day and the permit covers the duration of your entire itinerary.

I'm surprised that Yosemite are being so picky - I guess they are more concerned about people trying to bend the rules because so many trails are hard to get a permit for.
mbear
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbear »

Thanks, tim; glad to see the actual policy in writing.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

I must be missing something. Why was mbear required to get a new permit to resupply in Tuolomne Meadows?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Bheiser1 wrote:
I must be missing something. Why was mbear required to get a new permit to resupply
in Tuolomne Meadows?
The only twisted reasoning could be that if you leave the trail, then come back
to use the same trailhead to re-enter but the quota's are already filled for that
trailhead than Yosemite NPS may not allow you to re-enter using that specific
trailhead, which doesn't make a lot of sense in the OP's case since he was all ready
in tranist using the trail.
Cannot find anything addressing this isssue in the posted
regs: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mbear
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbear »

They told me it was exiting wilderness to go to the post office in TM, and that they make an exception only for JMT and PCT through-hikers when I brought up that it's a popular resupply point. Strangely enough the original permit I had (before I decided I wanted more time in the Ritter area) involved resupplying at TM twice and crossing Tioga Pass Road. I went over a proposed itinerary in extreme detail with the wilderness office for that permit and was assured it was legal.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Crossing the road is legal - walking down it for any length of time is exiting the wilderness.

Yosemite is like that, yes.