Enchanted Pools, Umpa, Twin & Island Lakes, Desolation W

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sierrawest
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by sierrawest »

madeintahoe,

beautiful pictures. where exactly are these lakes? where is the trailhead? is there a place to camp if one wants to spend the night? would i need a permit? how would i get there from stockton (central valley)? would you recommend this trip as an overnight for a couple of beginners?

haha, look what those pictures made me do! this place looks amazing!
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

I was there last weekend (photos on personal site in sig). Desolation Wilderness requires overnight permits because they have backcountry quotas. The trailhead is at Wright's Lake off of hwy 50. These particular lakes are in zone 32 and have a 20 person quota, 10 reservable ahead of time, 10 walk-in. See here for more info. $5 reservation fee + $5 per person ($15 for two of us for one night with pre-reserved spot). Hope this helps!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

WD it would be neat if a bunch of you could make it up to this area sometime... I know you would love it :nod:

Mikehike...Your little cabin is adorable :D ...Is it in Meyers?

Calipidder thank you for posting your link pictures to your trip! I had to look at them :) ..they are really beautiful...looks like you all had a fun time...did you get to the Enchanted Pools or Umpa Lake? I love Boomerang lake up there

Sierrawest...I think the hike up to Twin & Island Lakes would be perfect for beginners..it is a nice gradual climb there, but starts off nice and flat for a while, there is plenty of water for cooling off on the way, Im thinking it is about 3 1/2 to 4 miles one way to Twin, the lakes have nice places to set your camp. Read what Calipidder post on where the TH is at....would not be that long of a drive for you from Stockton either. Hope that helps some & have a wonderful time if you go...I would go soon because of the flowers and all the water still :)
mikehike
Topix Regular

Post by mikehike »

Madeintahoe,

Not officially in Meyers but very close, its off of North Upper Truckkee or some call it "Tahoe Paradise" we are really fortunate to have found this place. Its a really quiet street and the cabin is on a thickly wooded lot. We set up a little picnic table in the back so its like camping and then you have a nice bed to sleep on. We have a forestry lot on one back corner and two conservancy lots across the street. Also at the end of our street there are miles and miles of Mtn Bike trails, and its away from the crowds..

here is how it maps on yahoo.

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tm ... ap=Get+Map
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Madeintahoe, we were originally planning on doing some side-trip exploration (enchanted pools, second try on mt price (thunderstorms turned us back two years ago), wander up to Island Lake, etc), but something about the heat and the cool lake turned me into a lazy lizard - I spent the afternoon worshipping the sun with an occasional dip into the lake to cool off. One of those 'luxurious' backpacking trips - short hike, gorgeous scenery, and absolutely nothing to distract me from doing absolutely nothing. A perfect weekend. :p
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Calipidder..You being a lizard sounds great :D I love those kind of backpacking adventures too. I love Mt Price, I have not done it from that side, always from Lyons Lake. It's pretty cool up there.

Mikehike, your cabin is on a very nice street, I know exactly your street, a very nice area for sure...we have friends that live very close to your cabin. Yes, you are next to all those trails back there, it's a wonderful area to live. You are very lucky to own it..so many people can't afford to buy a home here and have been forced to move.