Suggestions for a trip with few mosquitoes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Suggestions for a trip with few mosquitoes

Post by tomba »

Thanks all for the replies.

The info about kids wad buried deep within the original post in "our preferences".

We did Kibbie Lake on Memorial Day, before mosquitoes.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

You could go low: Rancheria Falls at Hetch Hetchy is likely mosquito free by now and a good hike with kids, though perhaps hot at this time of year (try a climb of Leconte Point: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Might not meet your 5 day criteria, though Tiltill Valley/Lake Vernon may be OK to add a few more days.
Or go south: Cottonwood Pass & Miter Basin sounds like it is very dried out already (again a good kids trip: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), although a long drive from the Bay Area.

Both have trip reports from last weekend with little mention of mosquitoes (though it was windy, and that might not be the case next week).
mtn.horhe
Topix Acquainted

Post by mtn.horhe »

I was considering doing a very similar trip (same area) a little bit later in July... are the mosquitoes really that bad??
Sacha Kai
Topix Newbie

Post by Sacha Kai »

THE SIERRAS HAVE A DEFINED CYCLE OF INSECT LIFE. THE MOSQUITOS COME FIRST. YOU ARE DEFINITELY ASKING FOR THEM AT THIS TIME OF YEAR. BUT POSTPONING TIL AUGUST (AS SOMEONE SUGGESTED) IS NOT MUCH BETTER AS IT IS BEE SEASON. I ONCE HIKED IN AUGUST INTO JENNIE ELLIS WILDERNESS. NO ONE WAS THERE BUT TWO GUYS CAMPING AT A LAKE IN FULL MILITARY GARB, INCLUDING GAS MASKS, LEATHER GLOVES, ETC. BECAUSE OF THE BEES. WHY THEY CHOSE TO STAY THERE WAS BEYOND ME?
I PRAYED I COULD PEE WITHOUT GETTING BUZZED/STUNG, THEN TURNED MY BOOTS AROUND AND HIKED RIGHT BACK OUT. MOSQUITOS ARE NO FUN FOR YOUR KIDS, CONSIDER ANOTHER DESTINATION, PERHAPS A SEASIDE ONE, WHERE THERE IS FRESH AIR, SUNSHINE, FUN WAVES TO PLAY IN.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Sacha Kai wrote:NO ONE WAS THERE BUT TWO GUYS CAMPING AT A LAKE IN FULL MILITARY GARB, INCLUDING GAS MASKS, LEATHER GLOVES, ETC. BECAUSE OF THE BEES. WHY THEY CHOSE TO STAY THERE WAS BEYOND ME?
Why someone would even consider carrying that kind of gear in the first place is what's beyond me.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
no2haven
Topix Acquainted

Post by no2haven »

mtn.horhe wrote:I was considering doing a very similar trip (same area) a little bit later in July... are the mosquitoes really that bad??
I'll also be in the area this upcoming weekend, so I'll let you know. Fortunately I don't have kids to worry about so I can torture myself with mosquitos all I want!