Pika Pass | High Sierra Topix  

Pika Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Re: Pika Pass

Postby SweetSierra » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:30 pm

A friend, who's very experienced off-trail, took Pika Pass a few years ago. He said it had the biggest talus (huge--he was dwarfed by them in photos) that he had ever encountered and was very steep (I believe this was the north side).

SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Postby kpeter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:27 pm

You must register an account and login to view files/photos attached to this post.

I dayhiked from Pika to Purple to Ram Lakes and back on one long day. Not bad at all. I found the use trail from Purple up to Ram Lakes to be quite enchanting in places. Photography was bad that day, overcast and a little rain. But here are a few pics for documentary purposes.
IMGP2731.jpg

IMGP2733.jpg

IMGP2742.jpg
kpeter
Topix Expert

Postby SweetSierra » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 am

[quote="kpeter"]I dayhiked from Pika to Purple to Ram Lakes and back on one long day. Not bad at all. I found the use trail from Purple up to Ram Lakes to be quite enchanting in places. Photography was bad that day, overcast and a little rain. But here are a few pics for documentary purposes.

I thought the trail from Purple to Ram was beautiful as well. We didn't go all the way to Ram
but cut off to Glennette. It's a very distinct trail. It's interesting that most maps don't show a trail up there at all when there's a sign to Ram at the junction with Purple.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Postby Vaca Russ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:55 pm

You must register an account and login to view files/photos attached to this post.

SweetSierra wrote:I thought the trail from Purple to Ram was beautiful as well. We didn't go all the way to Ram
but cut off to Glennette. It's a very distinct trail. It's interesting that most maps don't show a trail up there at all when there's a sign to Ram at the junction with Purple.

The trail is on Acme Mapper. :) We found the trail easy to follow. It is pretty obvious because of all of the packer traffic.

098 (640x480).jpg

106 (640x480).jpg

109 (640x480).jpg

114 (640x480).jpg

I hope to find the energy to post a report. :)

-Russ
"I went home with a waitress the way I always do. How was I to know she was with the Russians, too?"- Warren Zevon
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby SweetSierra » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Vaca Russ wrote:
SweetSierra wrote:The trail is on Acme Mapper. :) We found the trail easy to follow. It is pretty obvious because of all of the packer traffic.

-Russ

In looking around, I saw one map that had the trail. This might have been it. It's good to know that it's on at least one map. :)
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping