Marmot Harassment

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Marmot Harassment

Post by maverick »

This is not about parking at Mineral King. Have you had run-ins with aggressive
marmots, and having to constantly guard you food? If yes, where has your worst
experience been in the Sierra?
Have you ever had equipment stolen from your tent by marmots. If yes, what's been the
most off the wall item taken?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Marmot Harassment

Post by rlown »

actually, I've never met an evil marmot. A skunk or two maybe. I think they sleep when we do. They might get up earlier though?
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ozark Flip »

Fletcher Lake a couple of years ago. I set up in a really nice campsite in a cutout in the trees. The problem was a den was in the back of the cutout. The marmots had no way out but through me. They would not shut up..irritating. I was tired from the hike in (up Rafferty Creek) and just wanted to chill out there at camp. They became quite aggressive toward me. Crazy! I have come back from fishing and found some of my stuff threw about by marmots. One time in particular in Diamond Mesa near Cloverleaf Lake.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The marmots at Ostrander Lake swore at us repeatedly for parking our camp near their rocks. They ate my trekking pole handles, argued around my hammock and woke me up, and raided camp while we were gone to lick all the cooking gear left sitting around on rocks. One of them stole a lady's ziplock container she was using as a bowl. We found it eventually.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

I've had a few run ins with Marmots. I had one take off with a trekking pole in the Miter Basin. He was interested in the sweaty black rubber handle. I caught him as he was taking off with the other pole. I retrieved both but the 1st one is pretty torn up. I guess they like the smell/taste of black rubber which is why they go after radiator hoses...

At Sky Blue lake we had one that was aggressive when we were cooking. A rock tossed in it's general direction would scare it off but not for long.

I also had a marmot chew up one of my wool socks in Emigrant Wilderness. The sock was airing out and was pretty smelly. My mistake was leaving it on a log instead of hanging it somewhere.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

During an early season trip (April/May) up to Hamilton Lake in the mid 90's we had a couple marmots that hovered around our campsite. I had packed in waders to make the most of the early season fishing and had waded out on the granite slab on the west side of the lake, our campsite to my back. My companion fishing down on the north shore started waving his arms and yelling at me. I turned around to see a marmot going through our campsite. I quickly pulled in my line, waded to shore, and started running up the granite slab to chase the critter away. My legs slipped right out from under me, I slammed sideways on the granite, and ripped my waders. Collecting myself but in pain, I limped up to the campsite and scared the marmot away. He had chewed a nice hole in my boot.

Needless to say, I have no love for the varmints. If I see them close to my campsite I let them know as much.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Actually had quite a few:

Maroon Bells, CO: Woke up early in the morning to hear a something messing around outside the tent. Zipped and looked out and the Marmot was making off with my camp flop, heading for it's den. I yelled and chucked a rock and it scampered, but left the flop.

Lost Lake near Taos Ski Area, NM: Buddy and I left our packs and walked around the lake looking for a place to camp. Returning to the packs there must have been 8 marmots and 5-6 pika all eyeing them up figuring out how they were gonna get in there and get our grub. I have no doubt they would have. They scattered when we came running.

Lower Desolation Lake, CA: Camped there one night and there must have been 5-6 of those big yellow F'ers living under one of the rocks. We'd be setting up camp and they'd be crawling on your gear. Had to be very careful as the last thing you want is your hip belt chawed off. Not as concerned though as we had bear cans.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Gee I just wov doz critters

Decades ago while I was camped near the largest Barrett Lake, one chewed several chunks of cork out of the handle of my old Fenwick pack rod.

For any of you that would like one of the ultimate critter experiences in the backcountry, camp exactly at the cross hairs on this topo:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.42436,-118.59136&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While camped there, not only were a herd of marmots running all over at all times of day but also many deer, especially late afternoon. And none of them ever seemed too concerned I was just a modest few steps away since they seemed aware I never got up and tried to approach them but rather enjoyed talking quietly to them and laughing. Wherever I peed hours before, the deer were all over it . Of course the marmots were climbing all over my pack as soon as I left but no they did not chew any holes. And even saw a bear on slopes on the other side of the small stream. It's a grassy bench with a fine view east of the Mineral King section of the Great Western Divide. Interesting limestone section in the meadow above. And note for the narrowly focused , no lake and no fish.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Wow! Highly adaptive, very curious, intelligent, and opportunistic. The marks of a very dangerous species (like us). :)

From all of your descriptions, it looks like the marmonts need for salt is the driver. Hiking sticks, flip flops, dirty socks, fishing pole handles. The all have salt.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I've also had hiking pole handles chewed to bits.
I hate marmots. They are the wilderness version of big city rats.