Weekend Trip Ideas

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Weekend Trip Ideas

Post by Take-a-Hike »

We have a short 2 niter planned for 2nd weekend in Aug, 4 people, went to reserve a permit for Sabrina basin yesterday, but all taken. Will try to get the walkins available, but am considering alternatives in the area in case things don't work out. In looking at maps, reading reports, etc., am considering Convict Canyon and the lakes accessed through there, as an alternative to Sabrina/Midnight/Hungry Packer area, but have not read much about that area, other than there's a stream that may be a problem. (Hopefully not in August!)
Anyone care to voice opinions re comparisons, or maybe even another alternative I've not considered from east side. Was also maybe thinking about a trip into the 4th Recess Lake area via Mono Pass, but was hoping to save that for a longer trip coming in from Edison Lake. We like solitude, lakes and scenery, but then, so do the multitudes.
TIA,
TAH
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Most of my trips are overnighters and are on my webpage. Pick something and if the info is not in the captions/photos, e-mail me.

The stream crossing at Convict was not bad last time. There were logs to cross on last time. We went back to Dorothy Lake/Genevieve Lake and didn't see anyone. Beautiful area!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Naturally it depends on how far youre willing to go in one day, but you could go over Duck Pass (from Lake Mary) and around to Purple Lake and then up to the Ram Lakes, etc, above that.
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Convict Canyon is surprisingly beautiful (I tend to dismiss too quickly anything that low in elevation). The stream was easy to get across, but I think we did it pretty late summer. At the stream crossing, you can make it a cross-country roundtrip by going up the side canyon to the north (up to one of the named lakes; I'm too lazy to get my map out to check the name!), then come back on the regular trail. It's a slightly unpleasant x-country because of terrible footing, but it saves a lot of miles.