TR: Pine Creek 5/27-5/28

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Pine Creek 5/27-5/28

Post by schmalz »

Bluewater wrote:Great photos and a fun trip! Granite Park is on my list this summer. Your dog is awesome. What kind of camera were you using?
I carry a Canon 5D mkII.
Carne_DelMuerto wrote:Thanks for the report. I'm headed over Italy Pass in 7 weeks. How much snow was on the ground in Granite Park? We are hoping to make it from the TH to Granite Park in one day, but it's nice to know there are good places to camp if we can't do it.
Not too much at all. I think a lot of the snow I encountered was actually dropped in the recent storm and had stayed frozen at the higher elevations. I expect there will be no snow at all in 7 weeks. It wasn't really that bad while I was there, the main reason why I didn't venture further in is because I felt generally fulfilled and wasn't inspired to keep going up. This is my vacation so I go where I please :)
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

When I was camped at Honeymoon Lake last fall, as I was making dinner on my second night, a couple guys came over from their site and we chatted for a while. They were waiting for a third member of their party to show up... apparently they had lost him on the trail. They were planning on heading up to Italy Pass the next day.

I said I'd stop in to say hi on my way out the next morning, but they left before I had finished packing up... and I saw them heading out, rather than up. I was camped up on the hill above the lake so I didn't notice them leaving til it was too late.

I've wondered since what happened to their friend. I guess it wasn't good, as they apparently aborted their trip.
Timberline
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Pine Creek 5/27-5/28

Post by Timberline »

Howdy, schmalz,
My first backpacking trip to the real "high" Sierra was to Honeymoon Lake on a Sierra Club Trail Maintenance trip in 1962. Granite Park is still one of my most favorite places. Great TR and pix. Thanks for rekindling the memories! :)
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

Thank you for the info on your camera schmalz. Much appreciated!