TR: First Hike 1st Dinkey Lake | High Sierra Topix  

TR: First Hike 1st Dinkey Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

TR: First Hike 1st Dinkey Lake

Postby Kelbaker » Thu May 31, 2012 3:27 pm

This summer I wanted to take my 6yr old son on an over night hike were he could have a good chance to catch a fish but, it’s hard to get a weekend trip to the Sierras when Jenny, my wife, works on Saturday morning. So with Memorial Day Weekend coming up, with an extra day, this would be a perfect time to plan for. Watching the weather and road conditions a tree blocking the road ½ mile before the trail head and chances of showers on Friday and clearing on Saturday lends Sunday morning a good start time. After talking to the Prather Ranger Station I made a hotel reservation for Saturday night in Fresno after a 3½ hour drive form Pasadena area. Wanting Wesley's first hike to be a success we choose 1st Dinkey Lake, a place mentioned on this board, not to hard, 3 miles, and a place where we could have campfires (which he loves) and lend a good opportunity for him to catch his 1st fish. After picking up our reservations we headed up to the trail head still blocked by a tree ½ mile before Willow Meadows and covered in 3” of fresh snow form the night before. Here are some pictures of a very successful trip and no mosquitoes.

IMG_8563.JPG
Start of our Hike where tree had blocked the road to Willow Meadows
IMG_8563.JPG (208.78 KiB) Viewed 269 times

IMG_8635.JPG
Wesley honing his casting skills
IMG_8635.JPG (225.31 KiB) Viewed 270 times

IMG_8650.JPG
Jack Pot he needed a little help in casting to get it out far enough but he did everything else and came up with the biggest fish at 11 inches.
IMG_8650.JPG (227.8 KiB) Viewed 271 times

IMG_8688.JPG
Wes was happy to have a camp fire
IMG_8688.JPG (229.79 KiB) Viewed 271 times

IMG_8705.JPG
Refreshing his feet in Dinkey Creek on the hike back
IMG_8705.JPG (181.54 KiB) Viewed 271 times

IMG_8721.JPG
Family picture made it back to the car
IMG_8721.JPG (187.39 KiB) Viewed 271 times

Many thanks to those of you who have given advise on hiking with kids on this forum. Wesley had a great time We hope to do at least one more over night family hike this Summer, and my week long trip to Miter Basin-Whitney with my 2 brothers and sister. Maybe by next Summer Wesley will be able to go on easy week long trip?

Kelbaker
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Re: TR: First Hike 1st Dinkey Lake

Postby TehipiteTom » Thu May 31, 2012 3:29 pm

What fun! Takes me back to my first backpacking trip with my son, when he was 7.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby gary c. » Thu May 31, 2012 5:29 pm

What a great experience for you and your son to share. =D>
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gary c.
Topix Expert

Postby quentinc » Thu May 31, 2012 7:05 pm

Really cute pictures. I wish I could get my 7 year old interested in hiking. He will if there are other kids along, but I'd have to rent some if we were ever to try a backpack.

Has there been a thread on this? I searched, and found one on introducing kids to fishing, but not to hiking/backpacking generally.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Postby tim » Thu May 31, 2012 7:09 pm

Looks great! Friday and Saturday's snow was a really pleasant addition this Memorial Day weekend - it helped keep the skeeters away and made for nice photos plus just enough "fun" without ruining the whole weekend - a big contrast to last year.

Keep at it! I've found base camping trips are a good next step for younger kids - hike in, day hike(s), hike out. That way they don't have to carry a pack every day. Otherwise after Day 3 they may get more fed up.
tim
Topix Expert

Postby tim » Thu May 31, 2012 7:14 pm

quentinc wrote:I wish I could get my 7 year old interested in hiking. He will if there are other kids along, but I'd have to rent some if we were ever to try a backpack.

Ha - we'll have to try a HST group trip! My kids definitely prefer company also. So I had to enlist their friends from school (see my TR from last weekend: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7702). At that age most kids are game for anything - whether their parents are may be another matter though.
tim
Topix Expert

Postby riverwalker » Thu May 31, 2012 11:16 pm

Excellent. I have similar photos of my then 4 year old. This brings back memories. What a great opportunity for your family. Keep it up!
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted

Postby Troutdog 59 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:22 pm

Outstanding TR Kelbaker! You got it down for the little guy. IMO, no matter what your introducing em too, you gotta scale it down and let em have fun. Then they want to come back. Looks like you nailed it!!!!
If you stand in the light, you get the feel of the night, and the music that plays in your ear......
In your mind you can hear, a voice so sweet and clear, and the music that plays in your head......
As it flows up from the ground, taking all that hear the sound, close your eyes, it’s about to begin.

R. Trower
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Postby lambertiana » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Great trip! Get him started young, and get him hooked! As he gets older you can do harder, longer trips. And by the time he's a teenager he'll want to do the JMT.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Postby Kelbaker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Thinking ahead to next year if Wes is ready I would like to take him to a place like Humpreys Basin. Take a couple of days to get there from Piute Pass have a layover day then either day hike or go a little further depending how things work out. This would also introduce him to a little easy off trail travel and more fishing practice :nod: .
Kelbaker
Topix Acquainted

Postby windknot » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Looks like a successful first trip, thanks for the report! The Dinkey Lakes were my first backpack when I was a kid too. By the looks of your son, it looks like you'll have many more of these in your future.
A few backcountry fishing pictures: http://wanderswithtrout.wordpress.com/
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping