That Time Again

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: That Time Again

Post by lostcoyote »

same place, different time...

cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

hey rogue,
I just spent an hour reading a link that kpeter included in Heyworth's thread on Nydiver Lakes. It recounts a lot of disastrous outcomes in the Ritter/Banner environs (and one involving a young couple, in particular). By those criteria, you did pretty well. Keep healing!

Lostcoyote: that's a great spot at the end of Deadman canyon. I played hide n' seek with a pika there a few years ago and I love the blue ice pond.
cg
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Last photo taken of me on this trip. I was injured 3 days later. Summit of Clyde Minaret:

Injured finger: This is one of the cases where it's allot worse then it looks. It wasn't until the following day I got 3 rocks out of the wound.

oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

cg

I suspect you meant to write "Cloud Canynon" rather than "Deadman."

Rouge,

Ugh! Even as and EMT I hated blood! :(

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well one good thing about the injured finger is it was a wake up call on what I need in my first aid kit. All these years that I would go without one or throw it away while out there. And even though I had one this year it was only good for 2 or 3 poor dressings of the wound. I actually threw away the gauze and tape that was in my first aid kit before I left. If I hadn't hit up a trail crew on the way out I would of barely had enough to get by.

I do have to say I hated using cloth pads and gauze on the finger because it didn't matter how much antiseptic cream I put on when it was time to change it the cloth was so completely dried into the wound that I would have to constantly coat it in water to even begin painfully peeling it off trying not to rip the wound open as it goes. There has got to be a better solution then that. :-k

I also have a new rule that when I tackle loose cross country passes I am going to wear gloves the whole time. I actually had gloves on that day because it was so cold but then I took them off about 15 minutes before I fell. :rolleyes:
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

Bloody good call on the gloves, mate. Bloody good.
jfnr
Topix Novice

Post by jfnr »

Whats Happening Rouge,

I think we may have hung out at the Vermillion right around the 1st of September. I had a great trip up to Mott lake and had a good time "as always" hanging out with really cool and interesting people at VVR. I hpoe the rest of you trip was good. I will be back up next year around the same time. Probably going to head up to Seven Gables from the east side (again). let me know if you plan to be in that area next year. Thanks for the tip on HST.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah had a good time hanging with you there. Not sure what will happen next year. I keep planning to save up to buy a vehicle and start driving but at the same time I want to just do another long hike. Only time will tell.