That Time Again

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: That Time Again

Post by rlown »

After 30 miles.. no Bigfoot.. go figure..
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

As I made my dinner at Desolation Lake while the last bit of useable light faded I was startled by movement behind me as a very large rabbit hopped by me. Although I did see a rabbit running through the forest near Horseshoe Meadows I was still surprised to this this guy running around up there.

And yes plenty of Coyotes at that lake.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by lostcoyote »

RoguePhotonic wrote:The Deer that did not have a death in the family on this day:
oh thank you for posting these pictures.
what are the odds?
thank you for changing the fawns fate.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

rlown wrote:Coyotes were hanging out pack-wise at Tomahawk lk (~11,200k) in pack format on 9/21 and 9/22. the 9/21 was an evening celebration in song. The 9/22 was a morning ritual by the alpha female to locate everyone else. We believe they den at Square Lk, as one of our crew observed big holes in the ground; bigger than a marmot hole.

Two huge rabbits appeared at our camp on the East side of Tomahawk on the 21st. You can't use red-eye removal on a rabbit. They were thirsty and made their way around us, sometimes within 5' of us towards the lake. Big rabbits.. fluffy white tails and didn't have the gaunt look of a Jack.
whilst in pioneer basin a few years back, we had our coyote clan singing in the mornings & the evenings... and had our fair share of wabbits (big ones) too...

i came across my first high altitude coyote experience many moons (like 30 years) ago, high up in the upper kern west of lake south america while i was coming back from lucy's & milles foot passes.... as dusk.... saw one dart right in front of me about 30-50 yards away. i never knew they were that high - but yeah, are quite common.

where there are wabbits, you can be sure there are coyotes.

regarding deer, while enroute to wales lake, i saw a multi-point buck coming down the knoll headed towards wallace lake. i love surprises like this.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

same place, different time...

cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

hey rogue,
I just spent an hour reading a link that kpeter included in Heyworth's thread on Nydiver Lakes. It recounts a lot of disastrous outcomes in the Ritter/Banner environs (and one involving a young couple, in particular). By those criteria, you did pretty well. Keep healing!

Lostcoyote: that's a great spot at the end of Deadman canyon. I played hide n' seek with a pika there a few years ago and I love the blue ice pond.
cg
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Last photo taken of me on this trip. I was injured 3 days later. Summit of Clyde Minaret:

Injured finger: This is one of the cases where it's allot worse then it looks. It wasn't until the following day I got 3 rocks out of the wound.

oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

cg

I suspect you meant to write "Cloud Canynon" rather than "Deadman."

Rouge,

Ugh! Even as and EMT I hated blood! :(

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well one good thing about the injured finger is it was a wake up call on what I need in my first aid kit. All these years that I would go without one or throw it away while out there. And even though I had one this year it was only good for 2 or 3 poor dressings of the wound. I actually threw away the gauze and tape that was in my first aid kit before I left. If I hadn't hit up a trail crew on the way out I would of barely had enough to get by.

I do have to say I hated using cloth pads and gauze on the finger because it didn't matter how much antiseptic cream I put on when it was time to change it the cloth was so completely dried into the wound that I would have to constantly coat it in water to even begin painfully peeling it off trying not to rip the wound open as it goes. There has got to be a better solution then that. :-k

I also have a new rule that when I tackle loose cross country passes I am going to wear gloves the whole time. I actually had gloves on that day because it was so cold but then I took them off about 15 minutes before I fell. :rolleyes:
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

Bloody good call on the gloves, mate. Bloody good.