HST Members Please Contribute Your Backcountry Knowledge!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

HST Members Please Contribute Your Backcountry Knowledge!

Post by maverick »

Fellow HST Members,

We are asking all our members to participate in this wonderful new resource that
Copeg put together in our the newest category, INFORMATION BOOTH, located
at the very bottom of the forum pages just in case you've missed it.
It will only be as good as we HST member make it by contributing.
This really has the potential to be an invaluable planning resource to all members. It
gives you the ability not only locate the exact locations, description, and other
reference material, but photo's too, which speak louder than words. There will be no
further need to go to any other sites trying to dig up information and photo's about
any crosscountry passes.
So if you by chance have a photo of a crosscountry pass, preferably both sides,
please take the time to upload it, with the information requested. This will not only
help other members, but as other members upload there photo's and descriptions
they will in turn help you. So it turns out to be a win-win situation for all!
And while out backpacking this summer please keep HST on your mind, and remember
to click and post.

Thank You \:D/

PS If you don't have the time or patience to fill out the requested information and
post the photo, then please PM me your photo's (jpeg's) in an attachment with title
and I'll do the rest giving you the credit for the photo's.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Re: HST Members Please Contribute Your Backcountry Knowledge!

Post by copeg »

Thanks for the announcement/reminder Maverick! For those that may have missed the original announcement, we hope this new addition helps us all share the huge wealth of knowledge the HST community has to offer. Contributions are easy, and a thanks to everyone who has and/or will contribute :thumbsup:

Visit the INFORMATION BOOTH
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I crossed so many passes in heavy snow last year that it's hard to write up how to get over it when it would be different without snow.

I'm supposed to cross like 60 cross country passes this summer so if I make it back alive I will try to post them.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Rogue,

I was thinking about you earlier going over a load of passes this summer! :D Just PM me
a load of pictures with titles, and we will post all of them together, no need to do all of
that by yourself when you get back.
Was hoping to see at least a few post by now, I know several folks who have crossed
passes in the past and have posted shots of them in there TR's.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

there has to be more than 10 XC passes.. c'mon people.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

rlown wrote:there has to be more than 10 XC passes.. c'mon people.
I don't have photos of most of the ones I've done. If I did, I'd be posting them.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

nice.. i'll give you my throw down cam.. You can still post w/o pics and describe the crossing. That's good enough, as long as you point it out on the HST map. others might add pics.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by mokelumnekid »

Maverick:

What if say, I post about a X-country pass with some photos, but then another HST member also has photos, maybe better ones or from a different look. Can they then add those? For example I have some good shots of the top of Ruskie, (going E to W) but not many going the other way. So are posts "open" to specific on-point related additional input?

Thanks. This kind of thing makes a lot of sense.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

mokelumnekid wrote:Maverick:

What if say, I post about a X-country pass with some photos, but then another HST member also has photos, maybe better ones or from a different look. Can they then add those? For example I have some good shots of the top of Ruskie, (going E to W) but not many going the other way. So are posts "open" to specific on-point related additional input?

Thanks. This kind of thing makes a lot of sense.

That's already happened. post them all.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes of coarse MK. The main thing is that we get members to participate and build
it up. Having a picture of both sides of the pass is great, and you do not need to
add a long or any description if you do not wish too, just fill out the requested info
and have a link to the pass on the HST Map, not another outside map please.
Thanks.