Trip suggestion requests

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip suggestion requests

Post by Jimr »

Bob Burd's an animal. I love reading his reports and am always amazed at how far and deep he and the other challengers go in a day (and a half, since they seem to start several hours before dawn).
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Wild Bill »

Hey Daisy!

I think you should recommend that they all go up the Shepherd Pass Trail. If they survive that, they can handle anything! Permits are generally easier to get, too! :nod:

Kind Regards,
Wild Bill!
eaglecreek
Topix Novice

Post by eaglecreek »

Many thanks to all who have replied to my post. High Sierra-North is on its way to me. Google Earth is fantistic. I hope to develop a few trip ideas and post them to get a reality check and/or alternative ideas. Planning on an early August trip. Will be flying in from Atlanta.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have an extensive library of guidebooks. Even in this day of internet information, I still use my guidebooks a lot. Even out-of-date guidebooks are still useful as most guidebook updates delete a few routes (the less popular ones) as they add new ones. TOPO (or a an equivelent program) is now available to do map work, yet I still own and use my set of 7.5-minute maps that cover the Sierra. I do not think the "new media" necessarily replaces the "old media", but rather supplements. One thing good about the internet, is that it is now easy to find copies of old guidebooks, usually at very low prices. I regularly take old novels (my husband reads a lot) to our local used book store and thumb through thier "travel" section where I have made great finds of odd-ball guidebooks to add to my collection.

I feel that more people should do a preliminary "rule-of-thumb" reality check on miles and elevation gain per day. This estimate assumes you do not get lost! And be sure if in a group you base the rotue on the weakest member's abilities. A bit of "contingency" should be considered for each trip. What if a day of bad weather pins you down? I estimate travel speed (2 mph trail with full pack, 2.5 mph trail with day pack, 1 mph off-trail) and add 1 hour for each 1,000 feet of elevation gain and 1/2 hour for each major stream crossing that I would have to wade. This way I come up with hours traveled per day which is a lot more relevant than just miles. As I get older and knees degenerate, I should add a time handicap for downhill! You may also want to keep travel easier the first few days while you acclimate. Another trick is to simply reverse the route and see if it makes more logistical sense. The finer points of route planning include identifying water sources, timing of being up on high passes, seasonal adjustments. All of the above is part of what I consider doing my "homework". This process is also great fun to do on rainy winter days. With numerous trips on my preliminary list, I then ask others about things such as "do you feel trip A is more scenic than trip B", etc.

There are some more vague preliminary questions that I feel are appropriate, mostly to get an idea of some far-flung area outside the Sierra or areas with little information available. For example, a question on if the Warner Wilderness (extreme NE California) is worth the travel time and expense given a certain limited days. I have done two trips in the Warner Wilderness and enjoyed both, but did them on my way to Washington state to visit relatives. They are worth a side trip if going that way, but for me not worth the expense of a special trip. But, be aware that everyone is going to give you a different opinion!

I am always amazed at Google searches. If you are willing to scan far down the pages (page 15 anyone?) you will sometimes be surprised. But pay attention to details - once I thought I found the area that interested me only upon inspection to realize it was in Chili!