PCT between Leavitt Meadows and S. Lk Tahoe

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SteveB
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

PCT between Leavitt Meadows and S. Lk Tahoe

Post by SteveB »

Anyone have any thoughts on the stretch of PCT between Leavitt Meadows and South Lake Tahoe? Interested in trail reports and impressions for this stretch in mid-August, thinking about 10-12 miles per day. Any thoughts welcome!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Pooch and I were thru the Carson Iceberg Wilderness some years back. I liked it along the river. I should have checked this out this last weekend as I don't have a map with me here in Carson so I am a little light with good info. The PCT goes over Ebbetts Pass right? Not many people where we were at, we took the trail just to the north of the pass. After studying my map more, I realized we could have gone over the pass and parked in a campground and had better access at least to start, the end would have been uphill and then down. Cattle graze back in there, it will be hot and dry, quite a bit in the open but then you can see the views. Trails were in good shape and easy to follow. How are you getting to Leavett Meadow, driving in and hiking up to the PCT then head north?
Piece of cake.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I don't think this is technically the PCT, but there is a trail that follows some parts, but also parallels the PCT in that area that goes between tahoe and tuolumne, ingeniously termed the "tahoe-yosemite trail". I've never hiked it myself, but it has been on my to-do list. You can google the name and pull up all sorts of stuff. There is an out of date book about it as well that is well written with topos.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

OK, I have my map. Pooch and I left Ebbetts Pass, South bound on the PCT, first night at tiny Asa Lake. Fished there during the day. Wolf Creek Pass or beyond had some snow on it to the side. Pooch loved it. Open with sparse trees, water, some potential campsites. Second night was on the East Fork of the Carson River, a long day. Late lunch at the river, dinner an hour and a half later before it got dark. Like I said, a long day didn't pack enough water or rest enough. The last few miles to the river were in the trees mostly I believe and downhill. Nice spot where the PCT hits the river. We were out a couple more nights but they weren't on the PCT. You should be able to make it here the first night I think.

You will have good views of Noble Canyon before you hit Ebbetts Pass and be able to see the mud slide, fresh the year I went thru. The north side of Ebbetts Pass didn't look pretty if you know what I mean.

I've been on a couple overnight trips in the Carson Pass area, similar, areas of timber with open grassy areas in between, easier hiking for the most part.
Piece of cake.