TR- Kennedy Lake | High Sierra Topix  

TR- Kennedy Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
User avatar

Re: TR- Kennedy Lake

Postby East Side Hiker » Tue May 15, 2012 6:20 pm

As always, WD, your pictures are fabulous and depict the environmental conditions perfectly. I would have loved to have been there.



User avatar
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:10 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: TR- Kennedy Lake

Postby cahiker » Wed May 16, 2012 11:56 pm

WD - Enjoyed the pictures. Not only are they beautiful, but they convey what the conditions are like. I was at Kennedy Lake last June 25th and there was a similar amount of snow on the surrounding mountains and it was tremendously wet and boggy everywhere within a half a mile of the lake. It will be very different this year by the end of June...
User avatar
cahiker
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:03 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: TR- Kennedy Lake

Postby FeetFirst » Thu May 17, 2012 11:23 am

cahiker wrote:WD - Enjoyed the pictures. Not only are they beautiful, but they convey what the conditions are like.


Agreed. :nod: I'm actually planning a 2-night trip out of Kennedy Meadows (never been) right now and your pictures/report are very helpful. I'm trying to decide if I should head towards Kennedy Lake and explore upper Kennedy Creek or should I head towards Lower Relief Valley and possibly explore the area towads Iceland Lake for day 2. Anyone care to weigh in? Thanks.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
User avatar
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:35 am
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

User avatar

Re: TR- Kennedy Lake

Postby Wandering Daisy » Thu May 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Iceland Lake is more spectacular, in my opinion however it looked to be still covered in snow when we went. So it depends on when you are going. The remaining snow is degraded and you will post-hole through it. Depending on your route, you may have to climb some steep slabs to get to Iceland lake and the slabs could be wet and difficult until the snow melts. The down side of Kennedy Lake is all the old cow poop. It has been heavily grazed and still shows the damage. Fishing was fairly good at Kennedy Lake, if that is important to you.
User avatar
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie
 
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:19 pm
Location: Fair Oaks CA (Sacramento area)
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: TR- Kennedy Lake

Postby FeetFirst » Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Wandering Daisy wrote:Iceland Lake is more spectacular, in my opinion however it looked to be still covered in snow when we went. So it depends on when you are going. The remaining snow is degraded and you will post-hole through it. Depending on your route, you may have to climb some steep slabs to get to Iceland lake and the slabs could be wet and difficult until the snow melts. The down side of Kennedy Lake is all the old cow poop. It has been heavily grazed and still shows the damage. Fishing was fairly good at Kennedy Lake, if that is important to you.


Thanks for the info. I'm definitely leaning towards Lower Relief Valley and beyond. The more I study the map, the more I wished I had taken Monday off too. If I had one more day (4 days, 3 nights) I could put together some awesome loops. With 3 days/2 nights, the options are more of a hike in, spend a day exploring the general area and hike out, kind of trip. Regardless, it's good to get out, but I'm sure you understand. :thumbsup: Anyways, thanks again for the photos and report.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
User avatar
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:35 am
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

User avatar

Re: TR- Kennedy Lake

Postby Carne_DelMuerto » Fri May 18, 2012 5:27 pm

Feetfirst, you might want to consider hiking up Summit Creek to the fork with the outlet from Lewis Lakes. On the south side of Summit Creek, just a bit up the outlet are some nice camping spots as well as a few nice spots to fish. From there it's a pretty easy hike up the granite to Iceland and Ridge Lakes. I did a 3-night trip in this area June of 2009 and it was great.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
User avatar
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:43 am
Location: Auburn, CA
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: TR- Kennedy Lake

Postby FeetFirst » Fri May 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:Feetfirst, you might want to consider hiking up Summit Creek to the fork with the outlet from Lewis Lakes. On the south side of Summit Creek, just a bit up the outlet are some nice camping spots as well as a few nice spots to fish. From there it's a pretty easy hike up the granite to Iceland and Ridge Lakes. I did a 3-night trip in this area June of 2009 and it was great.


Thanks! Ironically, I just finished reading some trip reports that describe this exact route for Iceland Lakes. From the map, it looks like the topography is more foregiving coming in that way. I think this is the plan, but it's all contingent on conditions when we're out there. From what I've read, this area has caused problems, and a death, in the past.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
User avatar
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:35 am
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

User avatar

Re: TR- Kennedy Lake

Postby vinhboy » Tue May 29, 2012 11:00 am

Thanks OP for this TR.

Me and a couple of buddies hiked this trail inspired by your TR pics. It was great a trip 5/27 - 5/28. One of the most beautiful places I have ever visited (I am a fan of meadows...)

The only downside was that it was in the low 30's at night, so none of us could sleep because we were freezing.

The first uphill mile was tough, but the rest of the way was not too bad.

If you want to enjoy this beautiful meadow, without the hike, you could rent a pack horse at the trailhead and it will carry you and your gear up to Kennedy Lake.
User avatar
vinhboy
Topix Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:24 am
Experience: N/A

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests