Current conditions on Yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ckm554
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Current conditions on Yosemite

Post by ckm554 »

TehipiteTom wrote:
markskor wrote:
bdynkin wrote: Frankly, I'm most worried about the water crossings at low elevations on the 1st day of the hike on Illiluoette creek. Even though it's low elevation, if this creek is raging now...
If starting Mono Meadows, there is a bridge that crosses Illilouette and the first day crossing should not be a problem there... many other smaller crossings later up to Merced Pass but expect not anything that drastic.
Wait, what? There wasn't a bridge there in 2009...did they build one since then?
No, there is no bridge crossing Illilouette Creek if starting from Mono Meadow. However there is a bridge a few miles downstream just above the falls on the Panorama Trail.

Chris
norak
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by norak »

Did you stop by the grill area? I'm sure it's closed but I have been digging around the net trying to find an opening date without luck.
Yes it was still closed when we drove by - we didn't stop to see if there was anything posted about opening dates. The campground had a "FULL" sign posted but it looked deserted so I'm assuming it's still closed - sign must be left over from last season.

Nora
http://noraakino.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Anybody know if there is any or much show in the White Wolf area? I expect not, but... I am taking a friend up the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne (if possible). I will post pictures and conditions if I go.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Doyle

The White Wolf snow sensor zeroed out about 2 weeks ago. I suspect a few patches of snow in the area and doubt the road down to the Lodge area is open, but it is only a mile.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Doyle,

Like OR says, there will be patches of snow, and the gate will not be open, but it
only adds a mile. Just park near the gate on 120.
Good idea to go early as possible since Waterwheel and LeConte will not be as
impressive as it has been the last few years. If you have time and your partner
is up to it go climb up to the top of cliffs above Waterwheel Falls (towards Wildcat Point)
which will give you a grand view of the entire Tuolumne Meadows area, plus the
entire range from Kuna Crest, Cathedral Range to Clouds Rest!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Thanks guys! I get paranoid just before a trip. I don't worry about patches of snow as long as it is not solid snow at the top rim of the canyon (and I have somewhat of a noob with me). I expected to have to walk the road, so it is not such a big deal. I've walked the closed May Lake road early season with a fair amount of snow, so it can't be any worse than that. I start Monday, and this time I have a digital camera, so lots of pictures! One of us is going to have to hitch from Tuolumne Meadows, so that will be exciting...
I have always wanted to go up to Mattie Lake from a route near Mattie Falls and see from Wildcat point, but I was never sure if it was blocked above. Perhaps not. Maybe we go visiting this year.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:T
I have always wanted to go up to Mattie Lake from a route near Mattie Falls and see from Wildcat point, but I was never sure if it was blocked above. Perhaps not. Maybe we go visiting this year.
It's not blocked.. There are two routes. One I can't remember that i did with a sprained ankle on the way out and on Vicodin, and the other route in 400 yds from the "big tree" in the cliff" to the East of the really brushy cut up and over the ridge. There is a bend on the Tuolumne river that is granite all the way up before the route decision happens over to Mattie. there's a really nice bench above to the left that takes you straight into Mattie. The other more east takes you up the brush chute. Mav can probably tell you off hand the best route.

Russ
MattL
Topix Novice

Post by MattL »

On Wed. 5/17 I did a day hike to Cloud's rest from Tenaya Lake.
There was not much snow anywhere near the road from Crane Flat to the Tenaya Lake. I could not see any snow down the side road to White Wolf, although the gate was closed.
Given its low elevation, the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne should be pretty dry, except the rivers of course. As I looked in this direction from Cloud's Rest I did not see any snow at all, but I'm sure small patches would persist in shaded places.
South of Tioga Road and above about 8,500 to 9,000 feet, the north-facing slopes with thick tree cover had enough snow still on the ground to do a good job obscuring the trail. In a number of places I would not have been able to follow the trail if there were not a couple sets of bootprints to follow. In some cases the snow cover continued for a couple hundred yards or more, but it was no more than a couple feet deep. Temps were warm enough that I did not encounter any icy spots. If trees were thin or the slopes faced south then there was not much snow, if any at all. Runoff is proceeding as expected, and the north-facing slopes were very wet in places; streams occasionally run down the trails. South-facing slopes were pretty dry.
Creeks were running fairly full, but less than the last couple years in mid-May.
If I knew how to post pictures I would show a couple in the direction of your travels.

Matt
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Doyle,
About 10 days ago, I walked about a mile down the trail past Harden Lake after parking by the White Wolf gate. The remaining small patches of snow by White Wolf were melting quickly and the mosquitos at Harden (a few dozen) were just waking up, so you may want to hustle through that area. Northern slopes at higher elevations still had snow, but everything was in serious melt phase. This glimpse of the Sierra has me re-thinking backpacking plans. Hope you have fun!
cg
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

cgundersen wrote:About 10 days ago, I walked about a mile down the trail past Harden Lake after parking by the White Wolf gate....Northern slopes at higher elevations still had snow, but everything was in serious melt phase...Hope you have fun! cg
Thanks for the update. One can really count on the people at this BBS to give you a heads up if they can.
Well, it will be just shy of 2 weeks since your stroll cg, so I expect further melting of the snow. I just don't want to hit four feet of continuous snow going down the north-slope of the canyon. Sounds like it will be pretty easy to follow worse case. Now I obsess about dead-fall from wind-storm. :confused: There is always something. Being responsible for myself is one thing (I like to think I can get out of trouble as fast as I got into it), but being responsible for another is a different bag of nails....:paranoid:
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails: