Current conditions on Yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Current conditions on Yosemite

Post by cgundersen »

Doyle,
About 10 days ago, I walked about a mile down the trail past Harden Lake after parking by the White Wolf gate. The remaining small patches of snow by White Wolf were melting quickly and the mosquitos at Harden (a few dozen) were just waking up, so you may want to hustle through that area. Northern slopes at higher elevations still had snow, but everything was in serious melt phase. This glimpse of the Sierra has me re-thinking backpacking plans. Hope you have fun!
cg
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Current conditions on Yosemite

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

cgundersen wrote:About 10 days ago, I walked about a mile down the trail past Harden Lake after parking by the White Wolf gate....Northern slopes at higher elevations still had snow, but everything was in serious melt phase...Hope you have fun! cg
Thanks for the update. One can really count on the people at this BBS to give you a heads up if they can.
Well, it will be just shy of 2 weeks since your stroll cg, so I expect further melting of the snow. I just don't want to hit four feet of continuous snow going down the north-slope of the canyon. Sounds like it will be pretty easy to follow worse case. Now I obsess about dead-fall from wind-storm. :confused: There is always something. Being responsible for myself is one thing (I like to think I can get out of trouble as fast as I got into it), but being responsible for another is a different bag of nails....:paranoid:
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;