TR: 2012-05-12 Cottonwood Lakes loop dayhike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: 2012-05-12 Cottonwood Lakes loop dayhike

Post by quentinc »

Thanks for the report Jim. I hope to get up to Miter Basin this weekend.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

quentinc wrote:hope to get up to Miter Basin this weekend.
Are you planning on going over New Army, (Old) Army or Cottonwood? Did you see these pics of Army taken last weekend that were posted @ the MW forum?

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... #Post90381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Army hairs me out. I'd like to do a trip from HM to Symmes in July over Army, but if there's still any snow/ice, I'll re-route over NAP.
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

Nice report and pics.
I will be up there Memorial weekend, going up Trail pass, and coming down nap.
Looks like Langely is doable already.
Radgnar
Topix Novice

Post by Radgnar »

Will also be there this memorial day weekend. Will be there Monday to Wednesday camping in the cottonwood basin. Hopefully summiting Langley on Tuesday.

Any reccomendations for campspots in the Cottonwood lakes area? Preferably a bit on the lower elevation lakes as we have our wives going who will not be summiting but want some beautiful scenry.

See you at the top!

Cody
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I like the little hill just south(?) of lake #2.

I was on Langley yesterday. I passed a couple who said that New Army was no problem, but I came via Cottonwood Pass. Conditions are like mid-July, it is astonishing. Only real snow I encountered was above Sky Blue Lake (where I camped 2 nights), on the way up to Crabtree Pass.
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mradford »

Hobbes wrote:
quentinc wrote:hope to get up to Miter Basin this weekend.
Are you planning on going over New Army, (Old) Army or Cottonwood? Did you see these pics of Army taken last weekend that were posted @ the MW forum?

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... #Post90381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Army hairs me out. I'd like to do a trip from HM to Symmes in July over Army, but if there's still any snow/ice, I'll re-route over NAP.

That looks Sketchy!

I am planning a trip to Miter at the end of June. Im hoping Army pass doesnt look like that!!

-Mike
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Tracie and I went over NAP on May 19th. We were concerned since everyone we passed said they couldn't get over it. It was not a problem, we took the shortest snow path up and snow was soft enough to make good boot tracks. Beautiful area!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;