Utica Reservoir

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ogg
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Utica Reservoir

Post by ogg »

I'm heading out to Utica Reservoir with a colleague in mid-June for a canoe camping trip. I've never been to this part of the Sierras before and am not sure what conditions to expect that time of year, in terms of weather, mosquitos and snow. Any thoughts?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Utica Reservoir

Post by rlown »

I think Skeeters will be the big deal. prep for that. What's left of the snow will be for happy hour.
mediauras
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Utica Reservoir

Post by mediauras »

I was there last summer canoe camping with my family, in later July, and the conditions were fantastic. You're going a little earlier in the season, but the weather and water were warm, which held at night. The conditions were better than I expected actually. But in June you may get some skeeters, though I bet you could find a good piece of granite to camp on that would work for you.

As a bonus in our trip, the campground at the reservoir above Utica (Union?) was closed for road grading.That one gets stocked for fishing I believe so it can get crowded. We portaged up there (easy to do) and had the whole lake to ourselves two days running -- absolutely fantastic.