Odd question, involves bears

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mediauras
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Odd question, involves bears

Post by mediauras »

Next weekend it looks like I'm heading to the Carson Iceberg Wilderness to hang out around the Clark Fork. On the drive up there from the Bay Area I wanted to stop at this great feed store in Manteca and load up on chicken feed. Is that something safe to leave in the car parked at the TH for a few days?What do you think? I'm not sure it would be appealing to hungry spring bears, just grains, but maybe it is. Its a huge savings if I can buy a couple hundred pounds of food and schlep it back to Oakland for our birds. ON my way back on Sunday the place will be closed.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Odd question, involves bears

Post by oldranger »

Grains are much higher protein than the early season grasses bears typically feed on. So if bears are an issue at the TH it could be really expensive grain considering the bear getting all or most and the damage to your vehicle. I guess as Dirty Harry once said, "Do you feel lucky?"

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I think I would be better safe than sorry. Put it in a mini storage for the weekend maybe?
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

If there's bears there, you absolutely need to put the feed elsewhere. They go after oats for horses, dogfood, anything.

George
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

Thanks. Figured as much, my post was a pretty good indication of my ambivalence. Maybe the ranger station would house the feed for me. :)