advice on weekend site/ close to bay area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mediauras
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: advice on weekend site/ close to bay area

Post by mediauras »

I think we're heading to the Clark Fork. Carson Pass destinations are still covered in 3 feet of snow, and the road to the County Line TH is still closed, until week after next. Thanks again for the help. My 6 yo is stoked!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Please post a trail report when you return. I have a friend headed up to the Sierra at the end of May and I had suggested the Clark Fork as a possible destination.

Have a good time!
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

I just talked to a ranger at Summit Station trying to gauge conditions for this weekend. I asked about the road to County Line TH (still pondering Sword Lake as a destination), and she said some jackass (my word) pulled the locking post out of the ground to get on the road this past weekend. Today they're trying to figure out if anybody's out there, how to potentially secure (a broken) gate, or whether or not to leave it open (depending on snow conditions in higher parts of road). What a stupid act, totally obnoxious behavior.

Anyhow, I'll post back after our little trip this weekend.
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

Hi. Quick TR. Thanks again for all the suggestions. My son and I ended up in the Clark Fork area. His first backpack trip! We hiked 2.5 miles in and camped at the area where Boulder Creek and Clark Fork meet. It was the perfect distance in and let us scamper around looking for waterfall views. Thge following day, we day-hiked up to Boulder Lake. There was a decent amount of snow around Boulder Lake, but it was melting fast. Overall, forest was already feeling pretty dry. Days were close to 80 I bet, nights low 30s. Water, well, it was *#@** cold! Overall, conditions were great, not a single mosquito yet. Personally, I prefer higher elevations and more granite more granite more granite, but this was a great first trip for my 6 year old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

Mediauras,

Nice TR and picture. Thanks for posting. Look for my upcoming TR on Deso this last weekend.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.