Belongings Safe at Horseshoe Meadows?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frisfraser
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Belongings Safe at Horseshoe Meadows?

Post by frisfraser »

Hay Party People,

I am going to be moving to Lake Tahoe from SoCal in about a month. On my way up, I plan on a 3-4 day backpacking/fishing trip out of Horseshoe Meadows to GTW, seeing the vast geological features that area has to offer. I want to leave my car at the TH, packed with all my belongings(everything I cherish, and locked bikes). I plan on draping a blanket over the stuff in the car, and storing the food and smelly stuff in the bear boxes. I am familiar with the area, and am guessing it is generally safe.

My question, Would you think this is safe to do at HS Meadows? Have you heard of any break-ins there? Thanks.

2nd Question, Do you have any better suggestions on where to backpack on the way up the 395? I got 3 days, and snow is no problem. Thanks a lot.

-fris
quentinc
Topix Expert

Re: Belongings Safe at Horseshoe Meadows?

Post by quentinc »

I've parked there dozens of times and I haven't heard of any break-ins (at least by people), but you might want to ask the Interagency Visitor center folks for their take.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Fris,

Welcome to HST!
Have never heard of anyone having troubles at Horseshoe Meadows, but like Q
mentioned call the Ranger Station to see what the authorities have to say about
it. As for alternative places a month out, there should be many places like Big
Pine, South Lake, Lake Sabrina, McGee and the Rock Creek area, to which all
the roads are now open, that you can find some good places to backpack too.
The road to Devil's Postpile (Agnew Meadows) should be open by then, as will be
Tioga Road.
Snow levels are at 10000 ft now in the southern Sierra, and in a month that could
raise significantly especially if we get any heatwaves.
Plus since you mention that snow is not an issue it opens up all kinds of opportunities.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
frisfraser
Topix Novice

Post by frisfraser »

Hey Mav,

Thanks for the input. Coming from Socal, I am paranoid about trail head pirates. I will have to call the ranger station. I'll post a TR after the adventure.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Most of the rangers have parked there for months without problems. However, there is a pack rat or mouse or something that has a weakness for the insulation on spark plug wires. Mine got chewed there years ago. Another ranger removed her set as well as kept a spare set (also not a bad idea to keep the vehicle from getting stolen). Break ins are always a danger, but I've not heard of any for awhile. Oh, except the usual on bears: they're there so don't leave food or anything that looks like food.

Amusing side story: a bunch of years ago, I was camped at Onion Valley and heard a ruckus about 3 in the morning. When I got up, there was a totally trashed small sedan. Bear had gone in through the driver's side, over the seats, tore into the back seat to get to the trunk and 50 lbs of dog food! Woof. Then he took a huge dump just by the driver's door.

He's probably still telling stories about what a great score that was.

g.
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

That would be marmots in the ignition wiring. Need to do a little research on how to dissuade the locals. I haven't had to deal with it recently, but I am thinking about snow fencing and concertina wire.