Panorama Trail TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Panorama Trail TR

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Hard way to Climb Sentinel Dome
April 23-24

This trip started out with numerous logistical problems. First, I had hoped that Glacier Point Road would be closed; camping logistics get difficult once the road opens. Second I got bad information when I got a permit. I was assured by the ranger that JMT was open and it was legal to park my car at ElCap Meadows. After eating dinner at Camp 4 I pulled out the brochures I was given upon entering, and the maps definitely indicated that overnight parking at ElCap Meadow was not legal. After specifically choosing the more crowded Camp 4 because of the ease of getting to ElCap bridge, I now realized that the plan would not work. I went into the tent and worried. Just as I was about to sleep two guys showed up and set up right next to me and sat there until midnight with bright headlamps and a stinky campfire not 10 feet from my tent. Next morning I awoke at 5:45 AM and slammed the bear boxes loudly as possible as I packed up and left. I felt terrible, almost sick. I decided to reverse the route, parked at Curry Village and got some coffee. By the time I fiddle-farted around and just missed the bus, I finally got started up the trail from Happy Isles at 8:15. As I walked up the trail, I felt better each step. Coffee and walking do miracles! I headed up the JMT and came to the next junction to find the gate closed! Damned if I was going to drop down and go up the Mist Trail. I scooted by the gate and continued. At the crux, there was a thin trench between the ice and rock wall that I easily got through. I met a couple going down. Finally I reached the Panorama Trail junction a bit after 10AM. The Panorama Trail was snow free and easy going so I reached Illouette Creek at 11:30. It was now hot and the slog up 1,300 feet to Glacier Point was tedious but with great views. Lots of snow-melt creeks were running so I could soak my bandana and hat in cold water. Several day-hikers were heading down. I took one short rest stop and continued across the road. Immediately, the snow became solid and deep. Footprints went off in many directions. I worked my way to the top, meeting a couple coming down. Thankfully they had broken trail! The view was fantastic and I had left my camera in my pack. Back to my pack, I continued to the Taft Point trailhead. Looking down towards the rim the snow was discouragingly covering nearly everything. Logistics failed me again. I think had it been early AM the snow would not have been so bad.

For a goal oriented person, I can at least say I made it to the top of Sentinel Dome . Yes, Glacier Point Road was open making actually climbing Sentinel Dome trivial. But my intent was to do the entire Panorama-Pohono –Yosemite Valley loop – this was just the consolation prize. At 4PM in the afternoon, sitting at the Taft Point parking lot, I realized that getting to Bridalveil Creek was not going to happen. Choices; hitch a ride back to the Valley, slog on to Taft Point and illegally camp there (I have camped there before when the Glacier Point Road was closed), or walk back down the Glacier Point Road and then on the snow-free trail back to legal camping on upper Illouette Creek. I did try to hitch but all I got was “we are too full”, even when the vehicles were obviously not. The thought of getting disoriented and stuck in snow late in the day nixed the second choice. So it was walk back down the shoulder of the road. The two miles went quickly and soon I was heading back down the same trail I came up hours before. My knees were screaming. Going another 3.5 miles was not going to happen. I filled two platypus containers with water and headed to a hidden spot quarter mile off the trail and well hidden for a bit if stealth camping. This was the first time in nine hours that I sat down for more than a few minutes. The evening was sublime. Hot tea, soup, dark chocolate and an amazing sunset- I could not have asked for more, barring the sore knees.

It had been a 9 hour, 13.5 mile, +5450-feet gain day! After a good night’s sleep I was up at 6AM getting some sunrise shots. I packed up and returned to the trail and this time, I took the Mist Trail back to Happy Isles. Surprisingly it took me longer to go downhill than I had gone uphill! I reached my car at 2:30, walking back to Curry Village rather than waiting for the bus. The second day was only 9 miles with 1,500 gain and 4,050 descent. Old knees slowed me down. When I left it was overcast. I guess I really was quite pleased (for myself at least) that when I looked at the Sentinel Web Cam this morning it was raining. Maybe the defeat was really a good call. A few photos below.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Panorama Trail TR

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR & photo's WD. Liked you second, and really enjoyed the sixth
photo with the cloud all flattened up against HD. Sorry the to hear the knees were
giving you a bad time. Sierra, sunset, and dark chocolate are always a wining combo!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Wow--not only lovely photos...but the snow level looks to be about 8,000 feet!

I gotta get up there next week!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Thanks for the report. I also love the photo of Half Dome and the flattened cloud.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

It had been a 9 hour, 13.5 mile, +5450-feet gain day!
You can say what you want about old knees but it's only April. I don't like to do days like that even at the end of the season. I know you hike all the time but my hat is off to you. Your pictures are beautiful. Thanks for posting your reoport.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Good call not continuing on, this is what the views are like from Sentinel Dome today: http://www.nps.gov/common/commonspot/cu ... 06E9D930E8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thank you for the TR. Amazing views and beautiful weather. I like the pxt of the rainbow below Vernal Falls (and of course the clouds next to HD). Makes me want to get out soon.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

A digital camera in the hands of someone like you is a treat to someone like me. Very nice pics.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Wonderful photos, and I sympathize about the knees! I was on a dreadful WTC trip last weekend that involved a 6,000 foot descent on Sunday (into 110 degree weather).
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Thanks for trip report. I have been curious what its like up there right now.

Great pictirues...hope I can find the time to get out soon too