May 13-15 - Buena Vista Lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
packrat
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

May 13-15 - Buena Vista Lake?

Post by packrat »

Hello, first post here.
My girlfriend and I are looking for a 2 night, 3 day trip in Yosemite from 5/13/-5/15. We're both very experienced and competent backpackers, and are comfortable with difficult conditions. We're not looking for this particular trip to get too uncomfortable though. Looking for a nice one day hike in, set up camp, hang out a couple nights and do a day trip out of there, then hike back out. Roughly around 10 miles give or take on the way in and out is what we're shooting for.
Looking at some maps one idea has been to start at the Ostrander TH, hike through Turner Meadow to Buena Vista Lake, camp there, then loop around and come out at Mono Meadow TH. I'm aware that's getting a little high up for this time of year, but also know the snowpack has been pretty minimal this year and going fast. Any opinions on whether or not this would be doable without too much post-holing this time of year?
If consensus seems to be that it might be too early to hike this trip, I'd love to hear any other suggestions folks may have for a 2-3 day trip that we could pull off in Yosemite this time of year.
Thanks for the help.
Last edited by packrat on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Re: May 13-15 - Buena Vista Lake?

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

If you like snow, go for it. In just a normal year, you are getting snow above 7000 feet. Using all my fingers and toes, I count 20 days till your trip, and at least one more storm on the way, so it does not look good if you want to avoid snow. There are not a lot of options this early. If the road is open to it, Kibbie Lake would be nice early season considering your needs. Another might be a loop up Snow Creek and down the Yosemite falls trail. Lots of side trails there to interesting places. I have done trips in the south Sierra early season, staying below 6500 feet. But if we have another heat wave, things may rapidly change.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Packrat

Please post a TR as soon as you return as I am planning on hitting Buena Vista about a week later but coming from the south. Judging by how fast the snow is melting at Ostrander you should be OK. But Mother Nature can be fickle and a foot of new snow a day before either or both of our trips is not a totally impossible occurrence. My guess is that some of the higher n. slopes that you will cross may have some snow, but if you cross it early in the day it should be firm.

Have fun.

Re Doyle's comment: this ain't a normal year. Even with another storm (other than within 2 days of your trip) I think odds are in your favor. Worst case scenario is you turn around and find a nice place short of Buena Vista Lake.

MIke
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Packrat,

Welcome to HST!
If, and that is a big if, snow is not an issue the whole Buena Vista Lake area can turn
into a big swamp in the early season.
Also a bigger issue, if things are really melting fast, Bridalveil and especially Chilnualna
Creeks can be an issue.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Merced lake might be doable....its 15 miles but you can do it!!! :evil:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sparky wrote:

Merced Lake might be doable.
Unappealing lake, will not be that easy to get permits since it will be one of the
few places people can get too, and avoid the snow out of the Valley this early.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

maverick wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Merced Lake might be doable.
Unappealing lake, will not be that easy to get permits since it will be one of the
few places people can get too, and avoid the snow out of the Valley this early.
Merced and Washbern Lake can be good destinations just for the Merced River that time of year, but as maverick said, a permit early season, even mid-week, would be very hard to get. I tried last year, but they were filled, even a day ahead.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Washburn is better, and can make it in a day, but ML does nothing for me.
Could try going out of Glacier Point, may have better luck.

RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

At first I thought this thread was for Buena Vista Lake outside of Bakersfield. I was like uh no you don't want to go there at all. :D
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Last week's hike up to Chilnualna Falls - hardly any snow left at that elevation.

Glacier Pt Rd is open.

Be ready to deal with patchy snow across the trail if you go from Ostrander. There are portions of that route that are shaded most of the day, and I have "lost" hikers temporarily in the one corner at the top of cardiac hill due to snow over the trail - look for the yellow flags in the trees and the downed sugar pine with the cut in it to find the trail.