Reds Meadow Blowdown

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ChasingRainbows
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Reds Meadow Blowdown

Post by ChasingRainbows »

Anyone have any more updated info on the conditions in the area? Looks like Inyo NF posted some useful maps showing the portions of trails affected. I am planning a long trip coming from Yosemite and heading south through the area in a few weeks. Was planning on resupplying in Red's Meadow, but now I am not sure what to do. I would just hike in to Mammoth on the road from Agnew Meadows to resupply, but it sounds like that is "not allowed." The route that they suggest makes no sense for hikers coming from the North, seems that Agnew Meadows may be the only option.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/home ... 55082#maps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by OzSwaggie »

Hi I've been reading the Trail Journals website as the PCTers are coming through that area now and some of the journals have info. on that area.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

The packs station http://www.redsmeadow.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; update says that the store is now open for PCT resupply.
It sounds like the Forest Service anticipates opening the road in a week on Friday June 22nd.
And I read elsewhere that the campgrounds are accepting July reservations.

So, all in all, almost back to normal.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

Wait, which campgrounds are accepting reso's for July? Agnew? I'd read that there were no plans to open Agnew at all, but I would sure be stoked to learn otherwise!

I've got Scouts leaving Agnew via River Trail for Thousand Isle, then Clark Lakes then High Trail home, in August, so I'd really rather not have to stay in Shady Rest or whatnot in town the night Bear-fore we hike.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Latest update

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I did a little clean up on a small section of the "connector trail" from Mono Pass Trail towards Deer Lake. I wanted to check out the damage after seeing an article in Mammoth Times. I saw how bad it got but didn't have tools and it was getting gnarly so I turned back and moved debris off the trail as I backtracked. I didn't read all of the comments here, but posting link my pics to show some of the damage.

PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/Sierra-Nev ... &k=75S2wTX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Snowy, thanks for the post and pictures. A group of us has a trip planned for July and we keep checking the trail reports from Inyo FS. We keep hoping that the trails we plan to use will get opened up but also tell ourselves we could work through it if we had to. Your pictures really put things into perspective about how well that would work for us. :\
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

This is just one section, I don't think this one is used for thru-hiking. The Mono Pass Trail is in good shape. Its in the beginning of my album. The part that's messed up is probably not used as much and will take them longer to clean up.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Snowy,
Thank you. Was thinking of the SHR section Tuolumne to Mono Creek for this summer, but going to pass and explore the area between Lakes Basin and Piute instead.

It will probably be a mess in the Mammoth area for a few years. Best I start thinking about some volunteer time the next couple summers.