Info Request: Palisades

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Some recent comments regarding the Palisades region (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) got me thinking about ways to further engage my 13 yo son in the Sierra experience.

Let me elaborate: I like to fish 10-11k alpine lakes; he gets bored, but likes to climb/scramble. He has no problem with elevation, endurance, distance and/or steepness. In fact, fairly recently with a another growth spurt, he's starting to outpace me on some of our local dog walks, and I walk pretty fast.

What he doesn't like to do is fish for more than 15-30 minutes, at which point he gets bored and starts climbing ice fields, boulders, cliffs, etc. It's around that time that I wake up from my trance only to discover the potential danger he's gotten himself into. This has been going on since he was around 6 or so, so it's taken me this long to finally buy a clue and figure out how to incorporate something he actually likes to do in the high Sierra.

OK, fast forward to the thread referenced above. I've been up Big Pine once before, when we were burning a few hours on our way back from Yosemite to LA. We had strolled up to the first falls, and had a picnic lunch. What intrigues me about the area are two aspects: a short, 2-3 night affair, and potential climbing/scrambling opportunities. (OK, may a 3rd - some fishing. LOL)

So here's a question for the board: Is this something that suggests getting a guide for the day? If so, who? (No technical climbing, just peak bagging.) Or are there some easy class 2 (minor class 3) well worn paths up some of the popular peaks, ridges, etc? Would going up the old Jigsaw trail count, or are there other better targets? What kind of itinerary would you design for a 2-3 night stay, including a 5 hr drive up from LA in the morning?

As usual, TIA for any tips, recommendations and/or advice.

Hobbes
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Info Request: Palisades

Post by Wandering Daisy »

"Scrambling class 3" is not without risk. I suggest you get some mountaineering training for yourself and son before you go off to do 3rd class routes in the High Sierra. Without mountaineering knowledge or experience I suggest you stick to class 1- easy class 2 climbs and "bouldering" - which is harder climbing close to the ground. When "bouldering" you should have a "spotter" so that you do not hit your head when you fall. There are some light (8-10 oz) climbing helmets that if I were the parent, I would require my kid to wear when scrambling or bouldering. There are some good book - Mountaineering; Freedom of the Hills, by the Seattle Mountaineers, for example, will inform you of the potential dangers and how to safely "scramble".
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Wandering Daisy wrote: When "bouldering" you should have a "spotter" so that you do not hit your head when you fall.
That's what I was thinking - does anyone know of anybody/schools operating out of the Big Pine area? I'm aware of a few out of Mammoth, but I'd rather stay further south. (Shorter drive, less people.)
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Perhaps your local REI has classes in bouldering/climbing. if not, try your local branch of the Sierra Club. The SC and friends of mine taught me how to climb back in the day.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Hobbes,

Have heard good things about both these places in Bishop.
http://www.sierramountaincenter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.sierramtnguides.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Hmmm, for learning bouldering, I suspect you can do that in Joshua Tree. A ton of bouldering happens there, must be some guides you can pay to train your son. This should be a very nice time of year there!

As for the Palisades, I'm not sure I'm clear what you're looking for. A way to fish while your son boulders safely nearby? I understand you're just fishing for ideas, no worries. Just having some trouble picturing that scenario in North Fork Big Pine Creek. Maybe there is a bouldering location there next to fishing that someone knows about. I don't.

I actually think a classic backpacking trip with a destination of Palisade Glacier might work well in your scenario. On Day 1 you pack to maybe Third Lake or Fifth Lake and stay there. (I am not familiar with the fishing at any of these places.) On Day 2 you go on a round-trip dayhike to Palisade Glacier and back to camp. At some point not far above Sam Mack Meadow, the official trail peters out and you will have maybe a mile of walking/scrambling, anywhere ranging from class 1 to a short section of difficult class 2. That is not a bad intro trip for someone at your level, and it satisfies your son's need to scramble a bit, without being unsafe. If you are a good map reader/orienteer, you can do that last mile to the glacier on your own. If you're not, you might learn some map reading skills in advance or go with a guide. But a guide seems a little over the top for this particular trip which is 90% on trail.

On day 3 you hike back out to the trailhead.

In a low-snow year I'd suggest early July for this trip. Maybe you'll hit the wildflowers! IMO it's a good trip if you want to addict your son to backpacking, assuming he can handle a ~3000 foot ascent with a pack on the first day.

- Elizabeth
Fifth Lake Flowers 2.jpg.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

oleander wrote:I actually think a classic backpacking trip with a destination of Palisade Glacier might work well in your scenario.
Hi Oleander, a 2 night/3 day trip is exactly what I was thinking. With regard to a guide, you're right, I was just throwing ideas out there to see if any are valid. It seems to work for fishing (Captain Tahoe, anyone?), and since the Palisades certainly aren't walk-ups like Whitney & Langley, I wasn't exactly sure what the learning process is for mountaineering.

My other options are either Horseshoe, were I can usually be found slumming it a few times each season back in some of the excellent GT lakes over the crest, or up in the E Yosemite area, where our family has been going for years. I tend to skip the middle part of the Sierra since it seems to get pretty crowded what with easy access from both the Bay Area and SoCal.

That being said, the Minarets certainly deliver - it's easy to see why it was supposedly both Adams' & Muir's favorite area. A 2 night/3 day trip out of Agnew to TI/Garnet would fit the bill. My only issues are: (a) I hate Mammoth (I live in OC, so the idea of driving 6 hours to a mirror image seems absurd); and (b) the PCT/JMT through there is pretty much a zoo. (I could add dusty/hot Red's, but why pile on?)

Two trips I'm pretty sure he'd enjoy, but I might have to wait a couple of years, is over Lamarck to Bishop, and OV to Baxter. Part of me says "screw it, everyone needs to find their own way", and continue to motor solo. (I plan my trips @ around 15 miles/day.) The other keeps whispering that if I can just keep him busy hiking/climbing, maybe somewhere in the range of 5-10 miles/day, the endorphins will kick in and he won't have any time to feel bored.

A little bit of that, and he could be addicted like the rest of us. LOL

As for this year, and perhaps as early as Memorial weekend (we'll have to see about these storms passing by as I type), I'm pretty sure we're going to hit the Palisades in line with your proposed schedule. When it comes down to it, it's just real easy for us to get to the LP/Indy/BP region; once we continue on up to/past Bishop, it just adds extra time and more people.