Ionian Basin from Martha Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
orbitor
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ionian Basin from Martha Lake

Post by orbitor »

Hi all, this is my first post in the forum.

I'm wondering if anyone has accessed the Ionian Basin from Martha Lake. I recently read (in Sierra South) about a great backpacking trip starting at Florence Lake, following the PCT past Muir Trail Ranch to Evolution Meadow, then heading south up Goddard Canyon, following the South Fork of the San Joaquin River to Martha Lake. The author hinted that the Ionian Basin would be within easier reach from there than from the normal approach via Muir Pass. Comments?

Thanks,
Mihai
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Re: Ionian Basin from Martha Lake

Post by Mike M. »

Mihai, yes, the route to Ionian basin from Martha lake is one of the most direct. You leave the Muir Trail well before Evolution Valley. Follow Goddard Creek up to Martha Lake, then head east into the Ionian Basin. Photos of the class 2 route are abundant here on this forum and the route is described in Secor's book The High Sierra.

Mike
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

You can also start from Courtwright Reservoir over Hell-For-Sure pass, then down to meet up with the upper section of the trail to Martha Lk.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

Thanks to both, Mike and Jim.
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mihai

Welcome to HST! Use the search features located at the top using key words, you'll
find some great information covering that area.
Here is one of them: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7230&p=50917&hilit= ... sin#p50917" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by East Side Hiker »

A trip into the Ionian Basin is the greatest Sierra experience imaginable (besides Evolution Basin). I envy you as my health and time constraints are limiting my upcoming summer desires.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Sorry to hear of your health issues East Side. I love Ionian Basin as well. I was so impressed that years later, when I met my wife, I told her I wanted my ashes spread over IB. She wasn't too thrilled about the prospect of honoring my wishes. When the kids were young, I told her to scratch the IB idea, I wanted to be buried so the kids would have a grave stone to p!ss on after visits to their psychiatrist. When the kids hit early (nasty) teens, I told her IB was back in the plans. Let the kids find their own rock to p!ss on.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Turtleggjp
Topix Acquainted

Post by Turtleggjp »

orbitor

I was planning to do a loop this year up Goddard Canyon, through Ionian Basin, then out Black Giant Pass and back via the JMT. I'm planning on starting the weekend of September 8, when were you thinking of going? I was going to go solo, and the thought of pairing up with someone makes the trip a little less scary.

Matt
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

Matt,

My schedule won't allow me to do a trip to the Ionian Basin this year. I was just requesting information when I posted, and the helpful folks on this forum directed me to a lot of existing knowledge on the subject. This will come in handy for future plans. I do agree with you that it's not a trek to be undertaken solo unless you're a very experienced Sierra veteran. I would consider joining you in September, however around the same time I'm already booked for my main backpacking trip of the summer - the High Sierra Trail. Good luck!

Mihai
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
Stewart G
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Stewart G »

Hi, new member here, found this forum while gearing up for a summer visit to Ionian. I wanted to point out a slight technical in this thread. The route from the Muir Trail goes up Goddard Canyon, not Goddard Creek. The latter drains from the other side of Ionian toward Simpson meadow. The San Joaquin is what one follows up to Martha Lake.
Can also add that yes the route from Martha is a good way into Ionian, though somewhat challenging with a pack on. The endangered sierra toad lives along this route, so tread lightly!
Ionian is a special place where uphill always seems easier than downhill. My suggestion is to expect to make about half (or less) of whatever speed you expect--there are very few spots in Ionian where you (well, me, anyway) can confidently put one foot in front of the other for more than five minutes.
I go to Ionian to meet my maker and live (so far) to tell about it. It's a terrifying place. Love that.