Whitney in Early/Mid May | High Sierra Topix  

Whitney in Early/Mid May

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Whitney in Early/Mid May

Postby Smnold » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:41 am

How far up this trail will I be able to go in early May? Any educated guesses? I'm not planning to bring snow shoes or crimpons.

Thanks

Smnold
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Re: Whitney in Early/Mid May

Postby jessegooddog » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:11 pm

I never hike in the sierra without microspikes - it only takes one icy patch to do you in. Even this year. I keep them clipped outside my pack, they are easy to slip on and off.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Postby RoguePhotonic » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:50 pm

It's always impossible to tell for sure. How far you can go depends on your skills most of the time.

You'll have to keep an eye on conditions and trip reports as the date gets closer.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Wild Bill » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:11 am

You should be able to make it to Trail Camp (12,000') without any "snow equipment." Nothing technical or steep to that point. You will encounter snow along the way, however.

The trail will be covered in snow above that to Trail Crest. As others have mentioned, you need the proper equipment to go higher. It is a pretty steep slope. I did it (that time of year) with an ice axe, kicking steps in the snow straight up. The snow was "cooperative" for me.

Once at the pass, the trail was visible the rest of the way to the summit. Assuming the summit is the goal.
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted

Postby paul » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:04 pm

paul
Topix Expert

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping