Blow some East Coast Minds!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sammermpc
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Blow some East Coast Minds!

Post by sammermpc »

I'm planning a four night trip with a couple of friends who have never been out to the west coast. Havn't even been out WEST at all for that matter, so I am looking to show them some of the most glorious high-mountain territory we have to offer.

None of us are experienced, but we're (hopefully) fit enough for most. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a ridicously jaw-dropping four-night/five-day trip. I think a loop would be fun, something that takes us around to alpine lakes or ridgelines would be great. We can go pretty much anywhere, though the Inyo area seems appealing (and I have not acquired a permit yet, don't know if that will be an issue).

We're planning on going in late August (26th - 1st). Thanks for the advice!

Sam
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Depending on how many people are in your group, you may have difficulty in getting the trailhead you want on the more popular trails. I would add an extra day just in case you have to wait a day to get into the trailhead you choose. Also, have alternate plans just in case.

There are people on this board who can give you better advice on trips than I can, but I would also recommend you pick up "Sierra South" by Winnett, et al, what I consider the Bible of trip planning for the Southern Sierra. Or you could just throw a dart at the map....! Hard to go wrong out here! :D
sammermpc
Topix Novice

Post by sammermpc »

Maybe I should provide more specifics. There will be four of us--we possibly could squeeze one more night in, but that'd be doubtful. I'd be glad to avoid the more popular trails, though chances are, considering the kind of scenery we are looking for and our experience levels (some for me, nil for the others), we can't be too picky.

About permits, excepting some of the very popular trails (mt. whitney, ect), aren't there permits available on a walk-on basis, or are they often gone or unreliably available? Also, what would be a good mileage for a crew of untested walkers?

By the way trekker, I just checked Sierra South out from the library. Havn't had a chance to go through it yet, I've been too engrossed in Fletcher's Complete Walker. Too in detail to be of much use to me, but a great read all the same.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Lots of possibilities. One thing to remember about the high country...altitude can affect you more than you think. My experience has been that it's worse for us old geezers, less so for younger folks. So you might need to allow a day or so for acclimation depending on your age/conditioning.
Here's my suggestion for a first timer....start at Tenya lake and hike to Yosemite valley, taking in Clouds Rest and Half Dome. While in the valley, you can enjoy Yosemite falls, and a side trip to see the giant sequoias would be in order. That way, you get a taste of it all.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
sammermpc
Topix Novice

Post by sammermpc »

Thanks rightstar--I'll look into that. I did a bit of checking around and it does seem like glorious territory, if a bit trafficed, but so be it. Anyhow, I'm heading up to Kennedy Meadows this weekend and hopefully a bolt of trail-planning brilliance will strike me.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Have all of you backpacked before and are familliar with your equipment? Is your gear light or traditional? Do you prefer to hike all day or just a few hours to a good location and then have time to explore and enjoy those areas? Many on web forums will recommend their favorite places from a perspective of their own fitness level, carrying weights, and trip orientation type. Especially those that like to hike all day on trails. I would tend to be conservative with newer people especially if they have not hiked or backpacked in the big western mountains. Otherwise they may end up being beaten up on the trail by too much vert, too much distance, for too long during hiking days. There are plenty of choices for pleasant easier trips as well as more challenging trips both with terrific scenery. ...David
sammermpc
Topix Novice

Post by sammermpc »

Well said David--

Our equipment will probably range--we will have up-to-date cookware, stove, but this is definitely at least one of the groups first trip, so the equipment could be iffy. Though we are looking for a challenge, really any backpacking trip is--is the Onion Valley->Kearsarge pass trip too strenuous for amataurs looking to spend some time in the wilderness, learn the ropes, and have a good time without killing themselves?
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

Here’s a link to the Inyo permit schedule, showing what’s still available for advance reservation.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation ... vail.shtml
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

So traditional and modest efforts. As I wrote there is wisdom in being conservative. With four nights you could reach the fine destinations rightstar noted though you would be hiking most of the day.

The Onion Valley trailhead is still a terrific place to start for a more relaxed four night backpack and it will still get you to some of the most impressive scenery along our Sierra Crest. I would not worry about the short distances between campspots below either as that frees you for time during the day to explore the lakes, peaks, and surrounding areas which are always immensely rugged and guaranteed to leave anyone tired by the end of a day. Most backpackers do go over Kearsarge Pass in one day but at 2800 feet and 6 miles to the Kearsarge Lakes it is moderately strenuous packing a load. So instead spend the first night east of the crest as that area is one of the ranges most scenic basins. On the first map link below, you might camp in the area of the red mark at center near Matlock Lake. You will have a small challenge upon reaching Flower Lake's outlet stream and that will be to locate the un-signed trail that traverses southeast up the small ridge between the two lakes. Even if you don't find the trail which ought not to be a problem, you could easily cross the ridge crosscountry. The reason it is better at Matlock than at the other trailside basin, though a beauty too, is it will have a lot of day hikers visiting except midweek. The lakes have fish and University Peak just south is quite an impressive sight.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=11&n= ... atum=nad83

Next day go over the pass and down to the spectacular Kearsarge Lakes. For a more remote campspot explore the area on this map at the red mark at center:

For a campspot right among other groups try where the area of the K in Kearsarge. The third day you could backpack over Glen Pass to the Rae Lakes. I'd recommend camping about the north shore of the southernmost lake where you have two lakes close by. The fourth day you would return to some different camp spot on a different Kearsarge Lake and on the fifth day return over the pass to the trailhead. If on the third day your group decided to take it easy you could alternatively just backpack to Charlotte Lake though I find that relatively uninteresting or this spot marked in red with a birds eye view south towards impressive East Vidette: ...David