Piute Pass- already booked for early Aug.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Xosob
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Piute Pass- already booked for early Aug.

Post by Xosob »

What are the backup options for parking if the North Lake TH overnight parking lot is full? I have a permit reserved for a Sun start and was planning an early start to make it to Mesa Lake with time to explore. I've always parked at the South Lake TH (overflowing sometimes, requiring a walk from Parchers) -- it is unclear to me where one parks along the road to North Lake.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Piute Pass- already booked for early Aug.

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are some pull-outs down the road. A few do not have explicit signs that say no overnight parking. I put a note in my window with my return date and stated "that there was no signs indicating that long-term parking was illegal, so please, Mr. Ranger, do not tow my car." My car was still there after 22 days! I think the parking lot opens up quite often. One way to get a spot is to camp at the campground and then find a parking spot in the evening after hikers return. I think a lot of day-hikers fill the parking lot- finding a spot in the late afternoon is not a problem. Or get there very early, before the day hikers. We unfortunately got there at noon. Probably the worst time.