rate Ropers sierra high route passes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: rate Ropers sierra high route passes

Post by Gazelle »

Thanks again for the information I was considering buying a light weight monocular might have to look into a golf scope as well. For day hikes etc where weight is not such a concern I like to take binoculars to see the terrain in front/around me it can be very helpful.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: rate Ropers sierra high route passes

Post by paul »

Can only elucidate on a Stanton bypass - if N-S, then you go up to the little lake north of Spiller Lake, then to Spiller Lake, cross the outlet and go straight up from the outlet up a sort of rounded ridge to the shoulder of the litle peak just southeast of Spiller Lake. Cross the sloping plateau and drop over into the little bowl to the east, but not too low because you want to head for Soldier Lake. From Soldier, don't try to go right down to Return Creek; instead, head over the little saddle to Return Lake - it's a nice stroll and from there it's easy walking down to return creek.