Amazing Difference in Snow Pack

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Many of you probably monitor web cams like I do to keep track of the snow. I have been amazed on the Mineral King webcams between this year and the last 5 years. Some examples:

March 4th 2007:

March 4th 2008:

March 4th 2009:

March 4th 2010:

March 4th 2011:

March 4th 2012:

Here is last year on May 31st looking more like it does right now:

Last edited by RoguePhotonic on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Amazing Difference in Snow Pack

Post by mokelumnekid »

Holy smokes Rogue, that is indeed a compelling way to illustrate the situation. Thanks and yikes!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes it's low, but March & April storms can make up for the last few months really quick.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

There was almost that much snow this past weekend at 6,000 feet in the "Desert Sierra" (the very southern part of the range starting just north of Tehachapi Pass).
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

maverick wrote:Yes it's low, but March & April storms can make up for the last few months really quick.
Can, but probably won't. We're 5 days into March already, and the 5-day forecast is for maybe a dinky storm the next couple days and then clear the rest of the week. At this point, the odds of a 'normal' (or above-normal) snowpack are virtually nill.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I agree with TT. Though march april storm can dramatically add snow depth the water content of the snowpack is very unlikely to come close to normal. I'm looking at late May trip to mid 9,000.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I too do not think it will even reach normal levels, but look back at 2006, it could happen.
Would really like to be able to get out early this year, hit the higher elevations
by early July (maybe earlier), and yes, it makes me selfish, but didn't get out much at
all last year so there is a lot to make up for.
http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/storm_summari ... storms.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ScoobyMike
Topix Acquainted

Post by ScoobyMike »

Right now we are at 30% snow pack. This takes into account the "normal" March/April precipitation. We had 2 banner years in a row, and 30% is better than 10%
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

maverick wrote:I too do not think it will even reach normal levels, but look back at 2006, it could happen.
Sure it could...but the word "miracle" in the phrase "March Miracle" kind of suggests how unlikely it is.

(And hey, I'm selfish too. Looking forward to a good Memorial Day trip this year...)
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It just makes me more hopeful about leaving June 1st although I may be getting laid off from work soon so looks like money will be the deciding factor.