Ridge Lines / Crests, and Peaks

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Ridge Lines / Crests, and Peaks

Post by giantbrookie »

oldranger wrote:While most of you have picked large ridgelines my personal favvorite is quite short. It is the little ridge
that separates the upper lakes in the west fork of Ferguson Creek from the lakes at the head of Box Canyon/E. Fork Sugarloaf Creek. It runs n. from the n. rim of the table lands. One of these days I will go through my old slide collection and get a couple of pics scanned.

Mike
That's the one with that nice pinnacle near the top (S end), I recall. That is indeed a nice ridgeline and one not often viewed.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Being of a geology orientation, one of my favorites plutonic igneous ridgelines aka granite was above. The below is one of my favorite extrusive igneous aka volcanic, and more specifically an andesite mudflow breccia:

mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Good one SSSDave! Is this in Ebbetts or Sonora Pass area? Lots of this kind of thing off PCT east of Reynolds-Raymond Peak area. Very scenic but crazy loose to climb on, and it creates wonderful gardens as your picture captures. BTW a lot of recent re-mapping of these areas has been done, as noted in previous posts by myself and Giantbrookie. If geologically interested you may want to track those down.