Summer Dreaming

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Summer Dreaming

Post by tim »

I have a family trip (3 days/2 nights) to Pika Lake at the end of July, then 7 days/6 nights Onion Valley-Cottonwood Pass (including hopefully a day hike to Whitney from the west) with my twins in the second half of August. My twins (now 11) were very keen to do Whitney this year, after we opted for Miter Basin instead of Mt. Langley last summer. Then hopefully a 3 day/2 night weekend trip to the Minarets in mid-late September.

I'm wondering about an early season trip (probably 3 days/2 nights) with my youngest son (turning 7 in June) as he's jealous of the trips his older siblings get to do. He enjoyed our trip to Lake Aloha last Labor Day weekend. Any ideas for Memorial Day weekend about a nice lake say 3-4 miles from the road (we'd be coming from the Bay Area)? Looks like the high country will be pretty accessible by then in this dry year, though it obviously depends on the weather (after we got snowed on last Memorial Day weekend!). I guess it will be cold overnight up high though!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Summer Dreaming

Post by windknot »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I am headed to the Wind Rivers in Wyoming from mid-July until first week in Sept. So far the Wind Rivers have about 90% average snowpack and it looks like it may end up a very average year. I have a 200 mile, 33-35 day trip planned along the spine of the Wind Rivers. I have two outfitter resupplies planned. I am agonizing over all the logistics right now. I have friends locally who will help out with transportation. So far its a solo trip, but I hope to con someone into going with me, at least on parts of the route. As some already know, I wrote an off-trail guidebook to the Wind Rivers a few years ago. I have always wanted to develop a "high route" for the Wind Rivers similar to Roper's High Route in the Sierra. I have the route figured out and just need to "do it". If this works out I may put this route in the next edition of my guidebook.
WD, I'm extremely jealous of your Wind Rivers trip! Make sure to bring your rod and reel, and a camera to document your catches. :)

I'm not going to have a whole lot of opportunities for trips this season, but the current plan will give me 2-3 weeks completely, absolutely free towards the end of the summer. You can bet I'll be spending all spring coming up with ways to spend as much of this time as possible up in the mountains.

No set trips in mind yet, but think about all of the places in the Sierra that you'd want to make sure to visit before moving out of the country for a couple of years, and you'll probably touch on many of my potential destinations.