The least visited lake.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The least visited lake.

Post by alpinemike »

Rogue, so as it stands... That lake that you planned to visit this summer from Island Bird is still unvisited? I don't think Andy and the gang back in the 80's visited it. But who knows.. Nice to know another season went by and that lake is still devoid of any human visitation as far as we know.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yep and still on the list for next season. Will probably take a day to tackle the North face of Peak 11,988 and then on the return trip drop down to the lake.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

We shall return and finish what we started this year!
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Damn straight! And some little bastard better not steal my register lid this time!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Why would a lake that's just a hole in the ground with a lot of rocks and ugly (without vegetation) terrain be a subject of interest - to me is just hyper neurotic. When I was 30 or 40 or 50 I could have selected the 10 or 20 most remote lakes and visited them in one summer. Whoop ti do. I wouldn't have been impressed or even interested in what I had "accomplished". I should start a string of "The least visited beautiful lakes (there are MANY). A string of the least visited lake with fish. A string of the least visited lakes with big fish. A string of the least visited lake with good fishing (not even CLOSE to the same thing). The least visited lake with great camp sights. The least visited lake with really good opportunities to climb a named peak. The least visited lake with a lot of peak climbing opportunities. This begs the question of "why a LAKE"? What's the difference between a great place (like Paradise Vally) and a lake. The question I ask myself is "are there enough people here interested in this or are the vast majority of backpackers overly interested in REALLY "barren" places?
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well that depends on if it is barren or not. The lake above Cartridge Creek does have trees. I have looked down on it from a peak there.

Even if a lake is barren it might still have amazing beauty. I thought Ragged Spur Lake might have awesome views looking out across the Enchanted Gorge but it just didn't. If you were going to have any views at all you had to talus hop up a big hill and I did not have the energy or desire to do so.

I also just love the feeling of being places no one ever goes or may have never been. It's like being in your own little world.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Rouge - I appreciate your point of view absolutly. I expressed mine and like your answer.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rogue wrote:
I thought Ragged Spur Lake might have awesome views looking out across the Enchanted
Gorge but it just didn't.
This is why I like using Google Earth in planning photography trips, it helps in estimating
what the scenery will look like from a lake level, though it is not always a 100% perfect,
trees or bush can block views, but it has been very useful.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Maveric - I wish I had that when I was backpacking
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

So far when it comes to going to really remote places only Island Bird has been more than worth the effort to get there. Such a beautiful little lake and a hundred yards from camp is such an amazing view of Leconte Canyon and the Black Divide. The water when ever I am there is wonderful for swimming and you have a couple peaks to climb that have only been climbed once. Or 3 times now in the case of Peak 11,151. We'll see what I find on the summit of Peak 11,988 next year.

I plan to go to Lake 10,565 and climb every one of the unnamed peaks around there. If I end up as second ascent on them all it wouldn't surprise me at all.