Route Planning

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Route Planning

Post by oldranger »

Rogue,

"Upper Colby" is fairly barren but with a good view of Midway. I don't know of many lakes in the Sierra that are "not worth visiting." You've got the time, you will be near, do it! No fish though, used to be.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Rogue,

OR is right about barren, and Talus Lake has a reason its called talus. A prettier version
IMO would be to go over Colby Pass and into Milestone Basin, and over Milestone Pass
checkout the many small lakes of Milestone Creek, and come back using MacLeod Pass.
In regards to Longely Pass, too me it has not been difficult finding a route down to
Reflection. The only time it was a little more involved when there was a cornice present.
Found these links that are similar to the route taken by myself.
Photo of Longley Pass without cornice:
http://sitekreator.com/Shared/Html/gi_p ... curr_idx=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Route taken on map:
http://sitekreator.com/Shared/Html/gi_p ... curr_idx=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Electra
Topix Acquainted

Post by Electra »

I found Longley to be rather straight forward without snow on it. I have also gone up ouzel creek to the ridgeline just south of brewer (not sure of name) which was interesting, the west side was an ugly descent and a friend broke a finger slipping in talus. This is a great area to spend some time Rogue, i really like the reflection>millys>thunder pass> sphinx loop for a quality kings canyon adventure if you decide to do further exploration someday in the area.
Dan Braun
Camp Navarro, Evergreen Lodge & SYMG
Electra
Topix Acquainted

Post by Electra »

Forgot to add, let me know if you are still looking for beta on the area around Rodgers Peak. Have an AMAZING trip and be safe. Maybe see you out there!
Dan Braun
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

In my opinion the Little Five Lakes are scenic except for one. Long Lake is good for fishing but it is not scenic. This is the best view on the lake but it's not a camp-sight. I didn't like this spot and it was still better than any camp-site we saw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I think I will save Milestone for another trip or if everything went perfect another section into late October on this trip. I still want to take a route over Milestone and Harrison and possibly explore around that area more. I never posted my 2010 trail report around here but the only time I have been to that area I arrived just before dark where I only had enough time to set up my tent and cook in the dark. It was about 15 degrees and the wind was blowing up to 40mph. At 8pm my water bottles were already turning to ice. After a horrible night trying to stay as warm as I could and a continuing freezing temperature I bailed on my layover day at Lake South America and went down to the Kern Hotspring for 3 nights.

As for the area by Rodgers after seeing several photos of both sides of the ridge I think that it's possible to cross there but will probably be very difficult at best. The idea of going over Clinch to Rodgers, Sluggo and Russell Passes would probably be a much nicer way to go although I haven't done any statistics on it yet.

What's the deal with Lyell, Maclure Col? What sort of class 4 does it have and how difficult would it be with a 20-25 pound pack on? If I could manage that one I could still go for a Mt. Lyell summit.
Electra
Topix Acquainted

Post by Electra »

I have not done Lyell/Maclure col but I went over the 'col' from the maclure glacier into hutchinson creek with about 35 pounds and it is very doable. The west side is demanding, talus filled and a long descent (or climb depending on direction)to the uppermost lake in the basin. I recall the east side to be ledges, slabs and occasional glacier near the top. Considering your route, you could pop over the ridge at blue lakes pass and traverse back into hutchinson though this may be too much meandering....
Dan Braun