Ram Lakes/Purple Lake Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
butters
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Ram Lakes/Purple Lake Pass?

Post by butters »

Chadu Pass is a more enjoyable skin in the winter! yesterday, we used to it trek over to franklin peak for a quick bag, then back to chadu pass and cruise back over to bloody pass, and from there up the relaxing relatively short south ridge of bloody mtn ending in an epic golden light shred sesh down bloody. ive got a ton of beta photos of ram/franklin basin, bunny area.. top of bloody has a great view.
Last edited by butters on Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Butters,

Welcome to HST! Any intel you could provide to this discussion, especially map and photo's (TR too) would be appreciated. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

How do you know that this pass is named Chadu Pass?
butters wrote:Chadu Pass is a more enjoyable in the winter! yesterday, we used to it trek over to franklin peak for a quick bag, then back to chadu pass and cruise back over to bloody pass, and from there up the relaxing relatively short south ridge of bloody mtn ending in an epic golden light shred sesh down bloody. ive got a ton of beta photos of ram/franklin basin, bunny area.. top of bloody has a great view.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
butters
Topix Newbie

Post by butters »

photo from top of bloody. franklin looming in the back round. bottom right corner marked is chadu pass from the info i have gathered. also franklin peak is really named Mt. Mendenhall 12,242 ft. my buddies were searching uptop and found a tiny canister which was the summit register. only a dozen signatures since 1995. pretty cool
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Prasadpapudesi
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Prasadpapudesi »

ceragold5150 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:49 am we drop in just west of the high point - on your map where you see MUIR we follow the letter I and drop right down to Big Ram Lake. Typical boulder hoping. Great place to have all to yourselves. The view from the high point is great. You can see Big Virginia in the distance too! Good fishing. I saw a big cat there on our last trip.

Pass A - i have not used. Pass B my grandmother could hike. you will notice more foot traffic as you near Pass B
Hello, I have permits to Laurel Lakes and want to continue from there over Ram Pass towards Tully Hole and Silver Pass. I have a couple of kids with me and we all backpacked cross country in Sierras before. I am curious to know more about Pass B in this picture. Can you help me understand if this route from Laurel Lakes into Ram basin is doable over Pass B? Do you a couple of 12-year-olds can do this pass with their backpacks on?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is a trail on the map that goes from Laurel Lake to Lake Genevive and on up to Edith Lake- gets hard to follow to Cloverleaf Lake.

There is a very good description of Bunny Lake Pass in our HST map/x-c passes. I used the description and photos last year to go from Franklin Lake to Cloverleaf Lake. The Franklin Lake side is very steep and loose. I found the route from Bunny Lake to Cloverleaf a bit tricky just because you have to get around clumps of dense brush. Terrain is a lot more complicated than it appears on the map. Personally, I would hesitate to take kids over this pass. I have not done Ram Pass so cannot compare. I think Ram Pass has a lot of talus on east side but does not look as overall-steep on the west side, but could have short steep sections. Some have said Ram Pass is harder- I think because of endless talus.

What about going over Corridor Pass to Big McGee Lake. It "easier" in the sense of less steep loose rock or chance of serious fall/slipping but does have its share of tedious talus. Dorothy Lake, Constance Lake and Big McGee Lake are wonderful. You can then take the McGee trail to Tully Hole. Not that far to do a side-trip back to Virginia Lake either. I think the lakes along this route are just as spectacular, if not more so, than Franklin and Virginia Lakes. The peaks are amazing and colorful. Fishing is good. Less people too. PCT is very crowded. My trip report may help. Harlen also did a trip report. Lots of information.
Prasadpapudesi
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Prasadpapudesi »

We did the McGee pass last year trying to make it to Bear Lakes Basin, missed it, and exited at Pine Creek. If we go over Corridor Pass to Big McGee Lake and over McGee pass, we might have a permit problem. We might as well start at McGee Creek Trailhead. :) Are there any other options to get into the backcountry for a 5-6 day backpacking? Permits are hard to get these days. How do I get to your trip report or Harlen's? New to this community and still browsing my way around. Thank you.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Permits only require you to designate first night, how many days and where you are coming out. Where you go for the duration of the trip is up to you. Any ridiculous route if fine.

Old posts can be searched for. I will dig the two up and create a link here, in a few minutes.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21912

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21770