High Sierra Trail Out and Back to Sequoia

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: High Sierra Trail Out and Back to Sequoia

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is my understanding that regardless of bear boxes you are REQUIRED to carry a bear cannister on much of this route. Inyo Forest web site has a good map on where exactly bear cannisters are required.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I don't know about new maps but canisters weren't needed for any of the HST other then the Whitney Zone. But on the other hand I looked at a Forest Service zone map around Rae Lakes and it showed that canisters where needed in the whole area including areas like Gardiner Basin and I didn't know about that so I can't say for sure.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You will absolutely need a canister - in the Whitney Zone, it's mandatory, as it is also in the Rae Lakes loop area and along the JMT. Was checked by a ranger each day (different ranger each time) between the Charlotte Lake/JMT junction and Crabtree Meadow.

Sequoia/Kings will be making them mandatory above treeline everywhere, soon. So saith the rangers I was getting permits from in 2011. Judging from the bear scat at Moose Lake (10,000 feet, no trees, just alpine, rocks and pikas) there is A Reason(tm).
WandererWade
Topix Novice

Post by WandererWade »

Thanks to all replies. I am working on a circuit for Crescent Meadow to Whitney and back. Lots of great advice was received from you all. I will post the route once I get it final and get permits. Maybe there will be additional tips from the folks that love the area so much.

Just for the record we will have approved bear cannisters for the entire trip. I did not mean to start a debate on the topic. Me and the boys prefer not worrying about bears or fines during our trips and dont mind the extra 2.5 lbs to protect us and the bears.
mattherrington
Topix Acquainted

Post by mattherrington »

Wade,

Just a quick FYI re. canisters. You can rent one/many for $5 ea. for the duration of your hike from the Lodgepole visitor center where you'll pull your permit. (I've never had ANY problems with availibility.) I've been spooked before about getting there and not getting one but late summer at Road's End and Lodgepole they've always had a bunch. I've also rented from REI because I was concerned about the above and spent $25 wk (thus $50) and was eventually irritated at my lack of faith.

SEKI uses the Garcia one which a.) doesn't have any real 90 degree edges so there's nothing rubbing weird in your pack or poking you in the back; and b.) is also a great seat. Cheers!
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

I think they're $5 per week for each canister. They seem to stock the old Garcia canisters, which are relatively heavy and crappy for loading and unloading. Still and all, pretty cheap.

Mike