Snow-Tongue Pass: What is the workaround?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow-Tongue Pass: What is the workaround?

Post by paul »

I phrased it "possibility" of resupply at North Lake because there are several possibilities that may work. As others have mentioned, you can hitch to Bishop very easily, or you may be able to stash in a bearbox at the campground, or have a friend meet you. Also, there is a pack station there, run by Bishop Pack Outfitters, and I'll bet you could work out something with them where you could mail them a package and they'd hold it at the pack station for you. Plus there is the Cardinal resort about a mile and a half down the road from North Lake, where you might also arrange for a package to be held.
fourputt
Topix Acquainted

Post by fourputt »

I did "No Snow" Tongue N-to-S in 91, a severe drought year and still a possibility this year. I don't remember too much exposure, only that it was steep and so loose that it required a four-limb spider crawl in order to maintain ones progress. At the top I was momentarily alarmed to see my buddy disappear in a cloud of dust below. Luckily he only slid a few feet before stopping.

I heartily agree that strongly-inclined soloing, especially on large talus and/or in wet conditions, is extremely dangerous.

South side is easy. 'Francis Lake' (11092) is beautiful w/killer views of Emerald Divide and really nice camping below the lake along the outlet. Have you considered further west end of Glacier Divide? The basins near Ramona are intriguing.

- Lou
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Our various experiences on Snow Tongue brings up a point about slope stability. Some climbers were killed a few years back in the Little Lakes Basin when they got on a saturated slope and it turned into a big landslide. Snow Tongue was saturated when I did it and felt like it may totally slide any minute. I did not realize how bad it was until I was over half way up so decided to continue up quickly rathern than go down, with the idea that the higher I got the less debris would fall on me. Similar scenarios are possible on other High Route passes. These conditions can also occur immediately after a large rainstorm. Everyone who does the High Route should have safer detour routes already figured out for the crux passes in case of poor conditions (including lightning storms) and should build in some contingency. Sometimes you simply need to retreat or stay put until conditions improve. You should never feel forced to go over an unsafe pass just because you are running low on rations.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

There is talus and then there is really huge talus. And the really huge can be really dangerous.

One needs to take any assessment of long slogs through large talus with a large grain of salt. That is because it is highly unlikely routes are going to be consistent from group to group. A route just a dozen yards to the side of another's route can me considerably more difficult or easier. And groups move through the the Goethe talus over several different routes. Thus one person might not think they had such a difficult time simply because of the lucky route they found in front of them.

There are some rather ugly areas of talus and loose rock glacier between the pass and the lake edge. Avoiding those sections in not always obvious from above or below. That whole zone is a giant obstacle course. Generally travel through large talus is maybe the most dangerous terrain type backpackers go through. Falling between huge boulders is frequently dangerous enough to easily cause serious injury or even death if one hits their head. Many moves have no choice but to be made dynamically through sections instead of small steps at a time. And the heavier ones pack the more dangerous the task becomes.