Independence Day weekend escape

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Independence Day weekend escape

Post by SSSdave »

I know a lot of you 8>5 m>f working people got the Monday off too so you could stretch the distance and do a more worthwhile trip this coming holiday. So what's up? Curious to hear the kind of places we more experienced folk here are headed to on this holiday with snow elevations crimping possibilities. I and photog friend are headed to the Owens Valley and White Mountains. Likely to do a couple of short backpacks too just to stage dawn and sunrise light shots. ...David
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Haven't figured it out yet. I don't mind climbing through snow, but the wife may come along and she'd rather not tromp through snow so that really limits my possibilities - especially on a holiday weekend. If she doesn't tag along, I may try Sphinx Lakes and Brewer Basin again as I was turned back my last try due to flooding. If she does tag along, not yet sure.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Probably still flooded! :paranoid:
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

I'm wondering, Trailblazer, what/how much snow there is in that area. Wife'n I r heading up Copper Creek to Kid Lakes, Glacier Lakes area, but it really depends on what areas we can get to and cant'. Depends on who ya talk to, read, as to what areas are still covered and not. And I'm hopin that the heat down here is translating to at least above norm temps up there, so snow should be receding rapidly on a daily basis.
If we get there tomorrow nite, Cedar Grove, that is, and they say the upper basins are a no-go, then I was looking for an alternative, and was considering the area you suggested. Another variation was the Roaring River and down to Deadman Canyon. But, that would be a last resort, I think...not having been to any of them, yet. What would you suggest or think we might find? We're planning on a Sat-Tues, have permit in hand and goods for 4 nites, planning on 3.
T-A-H
copeg

Post by copeg »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:Probably still flooded! :paranoid:
Sad, but maybe true..:lol: I'm now thinking of Red Mountain Basin, or something around that area. Never been up backpacking off of 168 or beyond, so anything up there would be fun.
Take-a-Hike wrote:I'm wondering, Trailblazer, what/how much snow there is in that area.
T-A-H
TAH, it was a while since I was there (a month or so). So your guess would be as good as mine at this point. When I was there snow was about 7500-8000 level. Most of that trail up to grouse is technically south facing. Depending upon which way you go to Kid Lakes, my guess is you'll hit snow near grouse or high in Granite basin. Again, only a guess. Maybe someone with more current info on the board can help you out....
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

I agree with Trailblazer above. My bet Kid Lakes basin still has a lot of snow. Granite Basin would be a better bet on that trail, if you can get to the rim.
I bet the Rowell Meadow TH to Sugarloaf/RoaringR would be dry enough, and you could get a good ways up Deadman, but the pass beyond would be hammered by deep snow for sure, and perhaps well below as well. I went over that pass in a good year and the pass basin was all snow.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Staying home and working on the honey-do list around the house. Working Monday to save my vacation time, since my better half has to work. A bigger trip planned in two weeks to Oregon, Some paddling, mtn biking, hiking, etc. from base camp.

Too many crowds this weekend anyway.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Red Mountain Basin might not be a bad idea-less people too. It faces the west and gets a lot of sun. Disappointment Lake is a nice place to camp. I imagine that some stretches of trail might have snow between Post Corral Meadow and Fleming Lake though.
mountainLight
Founding Member

Post by mountainLight »

Well I didn't get Monday off just Tuesday so it really didn't help the length of the trip much, but we are still getting away. We will be heading to Pioneer Basin from Lake Thomas Edison. Driving up Wed and starting on the trail Thurs morning. We are going to try to turn it into a loop by heading up to Grinnell Lake crossing over to Hopkins and up through Crocker Col into Pioneer. Should be fun, might be too much snow on Crocker, but you never know until you get there.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Sat - Probably offroading/hiking by White Mtn area
Sun - Probably snowboard or hiking (depends on conditions)
Mon - Boundary Pk and maybe Montgomery (SnowDude has been wanting to do these since we can see it from Mammoth)
Tues - Mammoth Mtn Closing day - snowboarding -
Wed - we'll do something, then drive home
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;