Tahoe to Yosemite Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Tahoe to Yosemite Trail

Post by Rosabella »

Hi everyone... it's been a while since I've visited the Board; it's been fun reading/catching up on everyone!

I'm planning on hiking the JMT again this next summer, and I'm considering expanding it to start at Lake Tahoe. I've ordered a book on the "Tahoe to Yosemite Trail"; I've just started gathering info, but it looks like the PCT only overlaps about a third or so of the TYT... and I'm reading there are pros and cons for both trails.

If anyone has any info they can share on this area, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Rosie
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Tahoe to Yosemite Trail

Post by balzaccom »

There's a website for Tahoe to Whitney that probably has more info than anyone else.

You can find it here: http://tahoetowhitney.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --it's a very thorough site that covers the wonderful trail (and variations) from Lake Tahoe to Mt. Whitney...and that would include your section...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

I'd walk it south to north.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Thanks Balzaccom, I've been checking that site.... there's some good info there. I just got my book on the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail, looks like a great trail.

A big concern I have is what the snow pack will be like next summer... the forecasts (as "reliable" as they can be this far out) are conflicting - The farmer's almanac sounds promising, but NOAA - not so much.

I've got my dates for when I want to be on the JMT... I've got some family members who'll be joining me for certain sections, so I've set my JMT schedule to co-ordinate with their dates. I'm planning on a mid-July start out of Yosemite, so if I am able to add on the 180-mile Tahoe to Yosemite Trail, I'll need to start at the end of June. If it's another bad winter/late thaw, starting in June might not be so fun.

I think I'll get my JMT permit, then keep the TYT option open... and see what happens this winter/spring.

EAST SIDE HIKER - I've always done N-S JMT hikes, and I'd like to try the opposite direction sometime, but (as I mentioned above) I've got family who're joining me on the Tuolumne to Reds Meadow section, and later, others who want to do the Onion Valley to Whitney section... so I'm pretty much committed to a N-S direction again. I'm good with it. :nod:
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am somewhat of an obsessive "weather watcher" and so far the NWS long term predictions are for a cold but somewhat dry winter. This last years snowpack was unusual and not likely to be repeated, however, so far predictions indicate a slow spring melt. In the end- all forecasts are just predictions, somewhat guesses. I think you will just have to keep an eye on the weather NWS discussions as the year progresses.

The main problem with a mid-June start in northern CA is stream crossings, more than snow. The snow can be traveled over, albeit with a great deal of effort, but stream crossings may stop you altogether. I am not sure how the route goes, but I have been down to the Mokulmne in early season and it is NOT crossable! Neither is Summit City Creek. Northern Yosemite also has many crossing that are not possible in early season. If you read the PCT journals of this past year you realize that the only successful hikers were those who grouped-up for northern Yosemite and crossed creeks as a group and were willing to swim very cold water.

One strategy for avoiding difficult crossings, is to bite the bullet and decide to deal with the snow and to early- BEFORE the peak runoff. Also, what about doing the JMT first and then go back in August-Sept to do the Tahoe to Yosemite section? I do not think you will have any problems getting a permit for the Tahoe to Yosemite section, so for this section you can be very flexible regarding dates. Tahoe to Yosemite melts later than the southern Sierra. I know doing Tahoe-to-Yosemite later would be a "flip-flop", so not a 100% pure through hike, but it certainly is better than not doing it at all!
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Thanks Daisy for your response. ...and you're right about the stream crossings. Your suggestion about doing the TYT after the JMT is a good one, but I have to be home by the second week in August.

I'm really enjoying this book on the TYT and I think I'd like to hike it, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen this year. By the time I'll know what the conditions will be like in June It'll be too late to put in for time off. I think I have to be realistic, and just plan for that hike another time, later in the year.

But it was fun considering it for a while. It's OK... this summer's hikes are going to be great! :nod: