95 Days in the Sierra | High Sierra Topix  

95 Days in the Sierra

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Re: 95 Days in the Sierra

Postby RoguePhotonic » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:42 pm

It's a long one for sure. I should read it again myself. Maybe it can spark some inspiration for writing this year.

My last post had me flipping through the John Muir Laws book again but I still cannot find those damn shore flies. Someone help us all out on this one!

If we ever get a trail report section of the forum I will repost this so it's all together instead of across many pages with replies.

RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Rock Slide

Postby dbogey » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Awesome trip report - I started reading yesterday and just finished it late today. We were on top of Windy Ridge in September and I snapped this shot of that rock slide and commented on how I'd like to hike "UP" Goddard. Wont be doing that after reading your post

I really enjoyed reading your entries. You have a knack for writing that I'd pursue if I were in your shoes. Keep up the hiking and make sure to post more reports.
Just another day in paradise
dbogey
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Postby Hikingfamily » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:34 am

Sounds like all this trail time provided you a lot of soul searching time.

Quite an endeavor to be out for 100 days. I know I could not do that, so I will live vicariously through your posts.

On a side note, I'd be thrilled if my dad would come with me. pretty cool to have a game dad like you do. Take it easy on him!
Hikingfamily

Postby East Side Hiker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:06 am

You have amazed me over the past two seasons. Keep it up.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Postby RoguePhotonic » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Lol it's all in good humor when I think back to planning for this hike. When you all told me I was crazy and I didn't know crap about backpacking and that I should just stay on the JMT. :moon:

It's true that staying out there that long lets you do allot of soul searching but it doesn't do much for me because I figured out who I am along time ago and I wouldn't change that. The things that plague my life are things that cannot be changed yet cannot be lived with.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Postby DoyleWDonehoo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:00 pm

RoguePhotonic wrote:Lol it's all in good humor when I think back to planning for this hike.

:nod: Now put the shoe on the other foot. If someone like you comes on this BBS and proposes a similar undertaking, what will you say? :unibrow:
Oh, I just saw you are from Bakersfield. I was born in Oildale, and lived for a while with my "Grapes of Wrath" grandparents (and parents) in Wasco. Except for passing through, have not been back in decades.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Postby RoguePhotonic » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:59 pm

I'd tell them to go for it. :D

Allot of factors come into play sure but the key for me is how I made it clear that I was ok if I died out there. If someone makes that fact clear then go for it. The same goes for carrying a PLB or a SPOT. I do not recommend to anyone that values their life to go cross country without one.

This year I came close to dying since I came close to not being able to walk in a very bad place. Now if I go out next year will I carry a PLB? Nope...lol

Do yourself a favor and don't come back to Bakersfield lol. This city is not the place anyone wants to be.

P.S. I love the Grapes of Wrath.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Postby Bkoenig » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Years have passed since you posted, but I just read your entire TR in one day. It helped me create a cohesive mental map of many parts of the Sierra I have either seen or read about previously in a fractured way. ( It also helped me through a trying 12 hours stuck in an uncomfortable chair. ) Can't wait to get out there for my tiny 4 day trips. (And when I do something advanced enough to post I will stop lurking. Thank you Rogue!
Bkoenig
Topix Newbie

Postby rlown » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:15 pm

umm.. Rouge has posted aLOT! eg, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8672&p=105501&hilit=days#p105501

If you use the "Advanced search" and look for Rouge, you will see his posts.

Or, just log in more often and use "View Active Topics" search.php?search_id=active_topics
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby RoguePhotonic » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:51 pm

I need to get back to writing the 130 days in the Sierra! I've been epically lazy lately. Have not even finished week 3 of my photos this year and have yet to build maps for the other two which is why I have not posted them.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Postby Shhsgirl » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:10 pm

Rogue,

I have only read the first portion of your trip, but so far I really like your taste in books and movies!

I have read the responses and comments about what you have revealed about your relationship with your father. Thank you for your honesty, and for allowing us to see this far into your soul. It has made your TR exceptional.

When I thought David was some annoying friend, I thought, "Oh, well, this has happened to me, too--taking someone along whom I did not get along with." I wondered if having an additional person present might have helped. That was Admiral Byrd's theory when he decided to overwinter in Antarctica at 80 degrees latitude. When his Advance Base could not accommodate three, he decided to go it alone, rather than take a chance on not getting along with only one other person.

When I realized that David is your father, well, this is different, and much more complicated. All parents do unforgivable things to their children all the time, and mostly the children aren't even aware of it, and if they are, they readily forgive. But sometimes-- they don't. My mother told me that my grown children would not even know they needed to forgive me for the ways I failed them, but the things they blame me for, I won't even know I've done. That's the first paradox of parent/adult child relationships. The second is that you can never really forgive your parents until you grow up and have your own children. When those little ones come along, whom you love more than your own life, yet whom you hurt the most (yes, even as you love them the most), you will then realize how imperfect we are, and how we need to forgive each other.

Looking forward to reading the rest. Your pictures are so good I can almost taste them!
Shhsgirl
Topix Acquainted

Postby RoguePhotonic » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:32 am

Well I always felt it was important to put the whole truth out there. I haven't just gone to the Sierra for so many days every year because that's just how much I like it. Got to add the dark reasons for my escape.

As far as parents go, my relationship with him is not so much based on what he has done in the past which there are more than enough flaws there. But just who he is as a person now. I don't respect him for who he is so I feel no need to look into the flaws of the past. Although to be fair you point out how we are flawed and make mistakes. His mistakes fall mostly under heavy drug use and alcoholism. He certainly was never a violent person but things like drinking and driving and getting in a serious car accident with his kids in the car was one of many things. You don't just say hey that's what people just do ya know? lol
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping