Fascinating hike up the Stanislaus River...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
michaeljones
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Fascinating hike up the Stanislaus River...

Post by michaeljones »

We went up the Stanislaus from below Dodge Ridge up above Waterhouse recently. With the water so low the riverbed is exposed and you can see and feel what the water has done to the granite over the eons. Absolutely smooth surfaces that slope off into slot canyons that looked really like death traps to us. The entire water course is exposed and if you've never seen this it is a sight to behold. Lots of trapped fish in deep pools. Just beautiful...

I know you all want pics...One thing still to get, a decent camera.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Re: Fascinating hike up the Stanislaus River...

Post by mokelumnekid »

I'm glad you posted this- I've been promoting canyon hikes- while still not having done many- on this board. Do you have any pictures? That usually gets people stoked....
vandman
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by vandman »

gotta see some pictures man! :bear:
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Wow, I would love to see that. I think I'll plan a trip in that area this summer. The Stanislaus is quite beautiful from Dardenelles upstream, especially upstream of Kennedy Mdws. The Mokelumne is also quite beautiful upstream and downstrem of Hermit Valley.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

ESH- you said it! :nod: And from what I've seen the Royal Gorge on the American is as well. I have posted some kayaking clips of people running these canyons to get folks juiced to hike them. My family has one of those cabins in Hermit Valley and I have hiked the Mok a lot since I was a kid.