Short note about Blue Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tom
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Short note about Blue Canyon

Post by Tom »

Ran across a trail crew that had been working Blue Canyon all summer. They were with NP and worked the boundary up to the lakes. They said that we were the first people that they had seen in a month...which would explain the (pleasant) chattiness.

Up to that point the trail was a little rough in places but the thunderstorms kept the dust down. The only people we saw were guided hunters on horseback and one guy that was headed through Goddard Canyon towards Muir Pass.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Short note about Blue Canyon

Post by oldranger »

Tom

Very interesting. I was in Blue canyon in late July. Came in over lots of snow from the west--Hummingbird lake route. I used the trail to move between my campsite and the lower lake where I caught my dinner a couple of times. It was clear that stock had not used the trail in years. As I recall at least the last mile is not on the maintained trail list and according to regs it would not be legal to take stock up to the level of even the lowest lake. I will have to do some research to confirm.

In my travels in July I started from about 3/8 mile short of the gate on the road on the nw shoulder of Hoffman Mt., saw the same two people on days 2 and 3 then didn't see another person for 9 days as I worked my way to Tunemah and back to my car.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Hi Tom.....George Durkee posted a message about a over due hiker...he mentions he would be going through Blue Canyon...you may want to read George's post..the one guy you mention you saw I am wondering if he is the over due hiker
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Tom:

Yes, very important you call the NPS number if you were in Blue Canyon within a week or so of the 26th +/-. See my post about overdue hiker in Kings on that route.

If anyone knows how to get ahold of Tom to get more info. that would be great.

Thanks!

g.